Hands off the strings buzz!

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

joepopp
Unrated

Hands off the strings buzz!

Post by joepopp »

When I have my hands off the strings on my new build it seems to buzz more than normal. I do have the pre on 10! Is this normal or can I make some improvements to the guitar or the amp? My boogie was much quieter with the same guitar but not nearly as sweet sounding. I searched for grounding threads but there was no clear answer.

I guess this could start a discussion on good grounding techniques?

http://www.joepopp.net/jcm800/jcm36B.jpg
0 x

jckid66
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jckid66 »

did you use sheilded wire on the inputs??

Bill
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

It's likely not the amp.If the amp buzzes with the guitar not plugged in,then maybe.A boogie uses so much stuff to quiet the amp down that it looses tone.They need it because of all the gain stages.
A nice build like yours has real tone that no boogie can touch.Tryb etter grounds in the guitar first.My Custom Tele buzzes too and my strat doesn't.Shielded inputs may help a little but the inputs on 2204's aren't that bad for noise.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Does this buzz only happen with a guitar plugged in? If you're using 68k input resistors, try temporarily shorting them out and see what happens. Also experiment with connecting the outer/ground side of your input jack(s) via a small cap directly to chassis, very close by the jack itself. You may also need to revise your grounding scheme.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Rictone
Unrated

Post by Rictone »

If the buzzing stops when you touch the strings your guitars string ground is working as it should. I would suggest checking the guitars shielding.
0 x
Snap,crackle,pop.............oops.

kollantai
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kollantai »

Are you using a good cable between guitar and amp?
0 x

joepopp
Unrated

Post by joepopp »

Thanks for all of the great replies. I am sure that it is the guitar plus the gain I was running while testing. The pre was up 100%. There were also some dimmers in the room. I think I am just being a perfectionist freak.

Just to reply:

Bill: Yes I have shielded wire on the inputs.

Psychonoodle: It only buzzes when the guitar is plugged in, my hands are off the strings, and the gain is cranked. It may just be this way on all 2204s. The tone is WAY better than the boogie and I will take a small buzz with the kind of tone I am getting from this amp anyday.

Phil: Thanks, I will try those tricks.

Rictone: I will work on this idea. I have seen that copper tape for control cavities in the Stewart Macdonald catalog.

kollantai: A really good cable. Gepco GLC20 with Neutrik gold ends!

Thanks everybody for the help. It's a great community we have here.

:D
0 x

Francis_Vaughan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Francis_Vaughan »

Rather than repeat stuff, probably the best source on shielding and interference issues is Guitarnuts. here. The site also goes through in detail exactly why you have the buzz effect you are experiencing. All good stuff :D
0 x