Amp Ideas for new products

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

pmurph1x
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pmurph1x »

loyjdockery wrote:Paul, I'd be interested in knowing what you had to change to make it all work for the 6V6 2204. If you don't mind just posting it here, that'd be great! That'd be a very cool amp. :D
I actually changed nothing intentionally. I got the Transformers and Tubes from an old Thomas Organ that ran 6v6's. I didnt have a Choke so I used a 300Ohm power resistor (on phsyconoodler's advice).

My B+ is 410V. The only thing I havent done is Bias it properly. I think I need to increase the Bias resistor from the stock EL34 value but nothing is getting red and the sound is great at all volumes, so I'm not too worried about it.

I can try to post some pics but it looks pretty ghetto. The wiring is really messy but luckily it turned out very quiet.

Paul
0 x

deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

I'd buy a 6V6 2204 kit if the price wasn't too high.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

I'll vote for the tiny terror. The actual stock ones which leave a little to be desired as far as styling and quality of parts but are selling very well @ $500 each. If you can make a few improvements it would be a marketable product. And I wouldn't vote for it if didn't sound good.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

The Tiny Terror is also quite a bit different than what you're selling now and diversifying slightly wouldn't hurt.
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

I may be interested in a Tiny Terror kit.
0 x
Everything I know I learned by listening to myself talk about things I know nothing about.

benjoi

Post by benjoi »

6v6 2204 would be unique. I've never seen a kit for it, and it would probably sound killer. 8)
I'd stay away from the JTM45 as there is a lot of competition due to its simplicity and popularity.
0 x

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

That 6V6 2204 is still sounding quite interesting to me.

I've never heard that tiny terror. It could be a little different than stock. I see that ZP has posted about possible fixes to that circuit. He also says it is very similar to the Superlite. I'm not sure what to decide between there.
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps
http://www.dockeryamps.com

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

I think I'll stay away from the JTM45 also because it's big wattage and well overdone.

I'm still wondering about how different the Superlite TMB and the tiny terror really is. I'll have to check out both schematics and compare.
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps
http://www.dockeryamps.com

afibmx
Unrated

Post by afibmx »

Ive also built a 6v6 2204 which sounded really good. Im rebuilding it into a new chassis now but i loved it when it was running. That may be something to look into since no one really offers that.

Of the amps you listed I personally would probably be most interested in either the tiny terror or superlite tmb.
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

A 6v6 2204 is just a 2204 with 6v6's in it.Easily done.Buy a 2204 kit and put 6v6's in it.Done.Did it.Nothing unique about it.
0 x