Amp Ideas for new products

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Amp Ideas for new products

Post by loyjdockery »

I'd like to offer 2 new amp types, I'm just not sure what I should offer. Since there are a lot of great helpful people on this forum, I'm asking you guys for help. This is open to any suggestions. Here's a few ideas I've had...

6V6 TMB
6V6 Lite IIB
Superlite TMB
Tiny Terror
AC15
JTM45
Lower wattage JTM45

The amps I already offer are:
18W TMB (Richies latest in downloads section)
18W Lite IIB
5E3 Tweed Deluxe
5F1 Tweed Champ
Lightning
Spitfire

Thanks for the advice!

Loy
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps
http://www.dockeryamps.com

burchtone

Post by burchtone »

Superlite!!!
0 x

kerrynet32
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kerrynet32 »

AC15 is my vote.
0 x
www.affectronix.tk
Handwired Effects Pedals for Guitar by Kerry

KenMoon

Post by KenMoon »

I built a prototype with 2x6V6s, Hammond 276X (320-0-320) PT (385V on 6V6 anodes), cathode biased, GZ34 rect, choke, no NFB, and a TMB preamp - parallel 12AX7 stage, then 1 more gain stage, then CF and then TMB tone stack, with a Heyboer 22W P-P OT.

Sounds pretty amazing and I've just started tweaking :D

Target tone is from fairly clean to very crunchy, but not as clean as a BF fender, and not as distorted as an SLO etc.

I think an amp like this fills a gap between, say, the 5E3 and the Plexi 6V6.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

The 6V6 amps would probably be the most cost effective to offer from a parts in stock perspective. You can just offer 6V6s instead of EL84s. A few parts later (@$2?) and you have an instant offering.

Plus the 6V6 is still sort of under the radar. With a JTM-45 you'd really be up against a lot of good competition.

As for a Vox - I think you could offer a Voxy mod kit for the 18 watters and do just fine. No need for a different chassis. Most of the difference is in the PI to power tube stage anyway.

Just my thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.
0 x

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

Yeah I figured the 6V6 type amps would be easy and inexpensive to implement. I think I might do that since there's been some interest in it lately. Plus, I personally would like to see what all the fuss is about :D

A voxy mod kit or option is also another great idea. From what it looks like, mod kits seem to be popular.

I'll have to check out the differences between the AC-15 and the 18W.

I could just change my chassis so that there is both octal/nonal sockets for the power tubes and then add in the components to do it either way.

By the way, is there any particular AC type amp which sounded best? Top Boost, Normal?

Thanks for the input!
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps

kerrynet32
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by kerrynet32 »

I think if you were to do a Voxy kit, you should do the Top Boost version because you can get the normal channels of any other amp (TMB, etc...) but thats the channel of Voxes thats unique. If someone is going Vox, they will want something characteristic and unique of Vox. Thats just my $.02
0 x
www.affectronix.tk
Handwired Effects Pedals for Guitar by Kerry

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

Cool, looks like top boost is the way to go.

Looking at schematic heaven I see about 10 different AC-30 Top Boost models. How can I narrow it down further?
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps

liquidsuspension

Post by liquidsuspension »

i like the 6V6 idea. like previously mentioned, it would be the least expensive overhead, and fairly unique.

i'm no expert by any means, but 2nd place to me would be a vox kit.
0 x

pmurph1x
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pmurph1x »

Loy
Last night I finished building and debugging my 6V6 2204.

I have to say it is the 70's and 80's in one box at a managable volume.
I love it and I dont believe :?: any vendor has a kit available for it. I think that would be a big hit.

Paul
0 x

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

Paul, I'd be interested in knowing what you had to change to make it all work for the 6V6 2204. If you don't mind just posting it here, that'd be great! That'd be a very cool amp. :D

Looks like 6V6s are the tubes of the day today! I'm going to definitely do something with those.

The 6V6 2204 reminds me of the 6V6 Plexi from Mark Huss. I don't know if he sells, but I don't want to impose on him of he does (especially since he did the designing). Let me know if there's interest in that one too.

Again, thanks for all the input!!
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps

KenMoon

Post by KenMoon »

Rather than put both 8-pin and 9-pin socket holes in your chassis, you could make or buy adapter plates that you would use when you use the 9-pin tubes, like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~jaxmoons04/wsb ... 18886.html

And as far as 6V6 amps go, the Plexi 6V6, 'umbles and TWs all have basically clean power amps with fixed bias and NFB, similar to a BF Deluxe. Why not go for something closer to an 18watt with 6V6s? If nothing else, to be a bit different than the rest?
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

This is a 6v6 2204 that I've built for the last couple of years.No changes to the circuit are necessary.Just bias accordingly.
I like compact,but gigging musicians like the larger heads so they don't get hauled of their cabinets at a set!
0 x

phsyconoodler
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by phsyconoodler »

And my latest
0 x

loyjdockery
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by loyjdockery »

I'm thinking I'll add a 6V6 option and mod kit to both the 18W Lite IIB and the 18W TMB.

That is a good point about the same general topology for the Plexi 6V6, 'umbles and TWs. I'd definitely like to differentiate myself so that I'm not just selling the same thing everyone else sells. I think the more options the better.

Those plates are a pretty sneaky way to get around the 8 pin / 9 pin problem!

And nice 6V6 2204 Phsyconoodler! I'm working on getting enclosures for my amps soon also. I hope they'll look as good as yours.
0 x
Loy Dockery
Dockery Amps

pmurph1x
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pmurph1x »

loyjdockery wrote:Paul, I'd be interested in knowing what you had to change to make it all work for the 6V6 2204. If you don't mind just posting it here, that'd be great! That'd be a very cool amp. :D
I actually changed nothing intentionally. I got the Transformers and Tubes from an old Thomas Organ that ran 6v6's. I didnt have a Choke so I used a 300Ohm power resistor (on phsyconoodler's advice).

My B+ is 410V. The only thing I havent done is Bias it properly. I think I need to increase the Bias resistor from the stock EL34 value but nothing is getting red and the sound is great at all volumes, so I'm not too worried about it.

I can try to post some pics but it looks pretty ghetto. The wiring is really messy but luckily it turned out very quiet.

Paul
0 x

deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

I'd buy a 6V6 2204 kit if the price wasn't too high.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

I'll vote for the tiny terror. The actual stock ones which leave a little to be desired as far as styling and quality of parts but are selling very well @ $500 each. If you can make a few improvements it would be a marketable product. And I wouldn't vote for it if didn't sound good.
0 x

ontariomaximus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ontariomaximus »

The Tiny Terror is also quite a bit different than what you're selling now and diversifying slightly wouldn't hurt.
0 x

NitroWoman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NitroWoman »

I may be interested in a Tiny Terror kit.
0 x
Everything I know I learned by listening to myself talk about things I know nothing about.