Valve amp build and transformer winding question

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Hiho
Unrated

Valve amp build and transformer winding question

Post by Hiho »

Hi All,
I have an old PA amp that i want to revive as a 2x 6v6 PP guitar amp. It has a blown power transformer and i intend to rewind it myself simply by unwinding what is there and counting the turns. I may also have to rewind the output transformer as it may be PA impedance :(
The chassis has 6 octal sockets so i was planning to use all octal valves (3x 6eu7's and 2x 6v6 + rectifier) and use the fender brown deluxe as a basis for the design. I also have a 30 henry, 200ma choke to play with.
Im basically after some words of wisdom regarding tx winding and also on what basic design i should go for in terms of tone control and preamplification. Should i use a valve for tremolo or dedicate it to gain?
Tonight i strip the power transformer, wish me luck!
Matt
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Could I ask you to repost your question on our companion site, PPwatt.com, where you will find a lot of the same people as here. Like the sticky note at the top of this forum says, this site is only for amps based around the original Marshall 18W design, which yours doesn't appear to be. Sorry about that and good luck with your build. :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp