Too many wires in the hole!

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Returnsnull

Too many wires in the hole!

Post by Returnsnull »

Hey, everyone. I'm currently working my way through my second build, a Ceriatone Tweedle Dee Deluxe clone.

I ran into a small issue (that I made a much larger issue) when I was trying to wire the grounds to the Inst Volume pot. You'll see that you have three wires coming in - mic volume ground, star ground, and shielded cable ground. Even with 22AWG, that's too many wires.

Now, I decided to bore the hole out on the pot. Hand-twisting the bits wasn't really getting the job done, so I decided to drill it at the lowest torque setting.

Anyway, my new pot should be here in a few days.

I think I can resolve this with a pigtail and everything will be just fine, but how do you handle this problem? It also tends to rear it's ugly head when wiring heaters, but I found better tube sockets to solve that problem.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: Too many wires in the hole!

Post by geoff 1965 »

i did that as well! i tried opening the hole up with a triangular needle file first but then used a drill and ripped the lug off!
the type of pot makes a difference,the holes on the alpha pots are quite small but the CTS pots have larger holes and the lugs are thicker as well.
2 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Too many wires in the hole!

Post by Daviedawg »

Heaters can be a serious fiddle. But modding a pot or valve base is a no no in my view. It will eventually cause an issue.

It is usually a case of patiently working at it. If not I have resolved this by adding a small tag strip (three tags maybe) in a convenient spot which will group the leads and send one to the pot. A pigtail will work and will probably be ok for the life of the piece unless it is subjected to a lot of travel.

Dd
1 x