Strippers

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Strippers

Post by crgfrench »

Tonight I went out and blew some dough on strippers. They're so beautiful I brought them home. Feast your eyes!
Screenshot_20190629-011636_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Strippers

Post by Daviedawg »

I love good tools.

Dd
1 x

9voltchicken
Unrated

Post by 9voltchicken »

This whole amp thing is becoming one giant excuse to buy new tools. I love it.

Nice stripper by the way.
2 x

zuceno

Post by zuceno »

Very nice - but not really necessary unless you are making a living as an electrician.

I prefer the cheap ones that also crimp and cut, and I still hardly get value from those.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Ha, I have the same pair! I use them constantly, and they are by far the best strippers. I've had a bunch of others fail on me. The one next to it is for tiny wires I use in microphones.

20190629_075105_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

spin

Post by spin »

I have never made the switch to the one handed type, I'm still keeping it old school.
65914794_350409165645555_2310748673614544896_n.jpg
But maybe I need an excuse to buy more tools, influence me why don't you.
3 x
If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect, then why practice?

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

spin wrote:
Sat 06/29/19 8:45 am
I have never made the switch to the one handed type, I'm still keeping it old school.

65914794_350409165645555_2310748673614544896_n.jpg

But maybe I need an excuse to buy more tools, influence me why don't you.
Hahaha, THOSE are the ones I use for electrical work!

There's a lot more control with the one-handed type. It's also a lot less effort for repeated stripping. Also, if you're using short leads, it's much easier (and usually safer depending on the insulation material) than trying to grip a wire with a pliers and strip with the other hand.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

colossal

Post by colossal »

spin wrote: ↑
I found I prefer the classic stripper (ho boy, that didn't come out right :o ). I had a nice, automated one but just never got on with it. I have an Imperial which has served me well for a decade. Handles teflon insulation with ease.
2 x

Returnsnull

Post by Returnsnull »

JMPGuitars wrote: There's a lot more control with the one-handed type. It's also a lot less effort for repeated stripping. Also, if you're using short leads, it's much easier (and usually safer depending on the insulation material) than trying to grip a wire with a pliers and strip with the other hand.
Thanks, Josh. This is exactly what I was wondering. I've only had (very) bad automatic strippers in the past and was hesitant to invest in more. I hate stripping wires so anything that improves the experience is worth it.

Side note: Going cheap has screwed me so much. My first solder sucker was a tiny thing that was completely useless but my Edsyn Soldapullt is amazing. My Radio Shack solder wick that I used for a decade was awful, but my Chemtronic is amazing. So I'm hoping to have the same experience with good auto-strippers.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Returnsnull wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 10:42 am
Side note: Going cheap has screwed me so much. My first solder sucker was a tiny thing that was completely useless but my Edsyn Soldapullt is amazing. My Radio Shack solder wick that I used for a decade was awful, but my Chemtronic is amazing. So I'm hoping to have the same experience with good auto-strippers.
I hear that. I could never go back to a pump desolderer or braid though. My Aoyue 2703A+ station has a desoldering gun, and it's great. Heat, pull trigger, done.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

spin

Post by spin »

JMPGuitars wrote: I hear that. I could never go back to a pump desolderer or braid though. My Aoyue 2703A+ station has a desoldering gun, and it's great. Heat, pull trigger, done.
I have a NOS 40 year old vacuum station I am dying to try (haven't needed any rework since I picked it up). I've never used anything other than braid (good braid). I just looked up the Aoyue 2703A+, that thing is intense. This forum is going to be the death of my bank account.
60355263_839635526379148_1996705513949102080_n.jpg
2 x
If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect, then why practice?

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

spin wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 8:14 pm
I have a NOS 40 year old vacuum station I am dying to try (haven't needed any rework since I picked it up). I've never used anything other than braid (good braid). I just looked up the Aoyue 2703A+, that thing is intense. This forum is going to be the death of my bank account.
LMAO! Tell me about it. My bench equipment is silly.

The price on the Aoyue went up a tiny bit. It was $299 when I got it a couple years ago. $315 to $320 still isn't terrible considering what the Hakko equivalent would cost. Amazon has a Hakko for more than twice the price, and it doesn't have hot air. No thanks! I use the hot air constantly for heat shrink, and more rarely for rework.

Actually, my favorite thing about the Aoyue I have is how easy it is to switch tips. They pop in and out in seconds like a little pencil, so you can switch to different tip types or widths easily when they're cooled off. My most used tip broke off today though (after more than a year of use) so I finally have an excuse to order a few more tips. ;)
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 8:34 pm

...My most used tip broke off today though...
Woah! If my most used tip broke off I'd be in the ER, with or without that one-handed stripper.
2 x

dogmeat
Unrated

Post by dogmeat »

I have the Ideal Stripmaster brand looks the same & it has been flawless for the approximately 30 years I've owned it. mine has replaceable jaws & I bought it for my job working Kapton aerospace wire (Ultra thin polyimide insulation). same jaws all these years & they work fine on other types of insulation. the one hand type (of good quality) produces a superior strip with not put a mark on the copper... no cut or nicked strands ever, if done correctly. (and yes, I have other strippers too, but thats my go to tool)
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

dogmeat wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 10:09 pm
I have the Ideal Stripmaster brand looks the same & it has been flawless for the approximately 30 years I've owned it.
That's what the brand is of my smaller gauge stripper in my photo above. The model pictured is 26 to 30AWG (I use it for microphones). It's really good too, but I took off a couple pieces that had made it annoying. ;)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 9:34 pm
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 06/30/19 8:34 pm

...My most used tip broke off today though...
Woah! If my most used tip broke off I'd be in the ER, with or without that one-handed stripper.
Don't worry, it's detachable. 8-O
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale