Music recording in iPad?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

sean121
Unrated

Music recording in iPad?

Post by sean121 »

Just wondering if it is possible to record audio using the sound engine pre-sets from my Yamaha digital piano into Garageband, using an Ipad? If yes how?
0 x

smwilliams452
Unrated

Re: Music recording in iPad?

Post by smwilliams452 »

To record audio into an iPad from an instrument, you'll need some kind of USB audio interface specifically for the iPad. along with that you can plugin the audio interface into the iPad, and connect your keyboard to the interface, and after that it will be ready to record your audio

I was using Garageband on my windows with some method I found online. But that doesn’t work any longer. Do you know if there is some other way?
0 x

sean121
Unrated

Post by sean121 »

Thank you! So that is possible then. I thought there is no USB interface made for iPad recording. I will look around on google to find the one that goes with my piano and iPad. I am sure I am gonna need an adapter for this as well.

And for your question, Garageband is compatible with macOS and iOS only. You cannot run it on windows as far as I know. Sorry!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I primarily use Studio One Pro for recording. I also have Reaper, Samplitude Pro, Sonar Platinum, and a couple others.

I like Studio One the best, but if you want a great platform, at a really cheap price, check out Reaper.

Newer iPads use lighting cables (fancy USB cables). You can get interfaces that are compatible with it.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

sean121
Unrated

Post by sean121 »

Yes, I have heard a lot about reaper but I have been using Garageband for quite some time now and I am gonna learn it(Garageband) first before shifting towards more advanced full-featured DAWs.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

That's fine. But don't be afraid to try something else out in the meantime. Reaper has a free trial period.

The thing to understand is that all of these types of editors work essentially the same (in theory). The difference is that some integrate with stuff better, some make workflow better, etc...
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

I have used my iPad on occasion to record using Auria. It requires one of the camera adapters to get a USB interface connected.
REAPER is currently my DAW of choice. As Josh mentioned the full package is available for evaluation - I used it for a year before paying the $60 to buy it. Computers are so much better for recording
Bill
1 x

sean121
Unrated

Post by sean121 »

Yeah, I am gonna check out Reaper as well. I read somewhere that it is free for a few months right now.
1 x

sean121
Unrated

Post by sean121 »

smwilliams452 wrote:
Sat 05/02/20 9:50 am
Do you know if there is some other way?
Maybe this article could be of some use to you. Although I would advise you to get a macOS system if you really like to use Garageband.

Admin note: inappropriate link removed. Please read the rules.
0 x

rio45william
Unrated

Post by rio45william »

Since, if you just started, then Garageband is the right app for you ! it is the basic app that you need to learn first!
0 x