Adding the SV2 + VCK (+TREM) Power Scaling Combo

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

IrishNachos
Unrated

Adding the SV2 + VCK (+TREM) Power Scaling Combo

Post by IrishNachos »

Hello,
A few months ago I built a Mojotone 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and it's great but very loud in my apartment. Last week I purchased an SV2 + VCK (+TREM) Power Scaling Combo from London Power in Canada. I cannot figure out where each piece gets attached onto my board. I've done tons of research but just don't have a lot of experience with electronics. Any suggestions? Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Adding the SV2 + VCK (+TREM) Power Scaling Combo

Post by Bieworm »

no doubt you need that, but it would make me cry seeing that electronic device in one of my amps. I like all the oldskool parts and methods of handwired amps. And how on earth is that going to fit in a TDlx chassis? Isn't that a very small chassis , even for the amp itself?
Maybe you should look into building an attenuator ( a la Josh's latest jewel, break wind..or something) or even a VVR installation. But that's just me, I like the 'naturelle'
And luckily for me I don't live in an appartment, so I can crank it up most of the time.. I play louder at home than I do at practice or gigs Hi-ya :bomb:
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I have a 5E3 as well. It sounds great but is loud. I have VVR fitted over the whole amp power supply and would not recommend it for the 5E3. An attenuator is a much better option.

What does the set up you have do? Being power scaling it will be similar to VVR but may be a better option if designed for the 5E3.

Dd
1 x

IrishNachos
Unrated

Post by IrishNachos »

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. As a work-around I've been using a VVR. It works, which is great, but it's bulky and heavy and is one more powered device you need to tinker with, carry to gigs, etc. The SV2 is 3 small parts that don't require an outside power source, so it's convenient. Bieworm may be right and this might throw off the tone which is the reason I built the amp in the first place. But...I can also remove it if that is the case. Bottom line, I have to try it to find out. I'm just not sure how to do it.
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I was referring to VVR in the amp circuit. Small board and one extra pot. Are you talking about a Variac?

Dd
0 x

IrishNachos
Unrated

Post by IrishNachos »

Yes, the variac. It works but it's one more electrical appliance to deal with. Plus, I've already paid for the SV2 and want to find out how it affects the amp.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I would ask Kevin at LPS directly.
1 x

ZeroPointEnergy

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

crgfrench wrote:
Tue 05/19/20 12:26 am
I would ask Kevin at LPS directly.
If he is who I think he is, he's a good dude. Does he also design speak boxes, like in a unique methodology? He sometimes recommends leaving one of the speaker holes empty. That is, if it's the same guy I have in mind. I bought his speaker booklet. Was informative, but I still need to build a 2x12 cab, hehe.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Wed 05/20/20 5:03 pm
If he is who I think he is, he's a good dude. Does he also design speak boxes, like in a unique methodology? He sometimes recommends leaving one of the speaker holes empty. That is, if it's the same guy I have in mind. I bought his speaker booklet. Was informative, but I still need to build a 2x12 cab, hehe.
I personally love the sound of a 2x12 with only one speaker in it.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

ZeroPointEnergy

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 05/20/20 5:20 pm
ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Wed 05/20/20 5:03 pm
I personally love the sound of a 2x12 with only one speaker in it.
Right on. Lots of bass, really open, and louder to the frontside! Seems like all good points to me! I need two fatt 2x12's, so I can load one speaker in each, and then stack them like a wannabe 4x12 and sound nearly as good.

Or,,, stack them vertically on top of each other, for line array effect, like in the new PA's. hehe They say the sound is like compressed and can travel around bends easier. Thanks for accepting this for not exactly being on topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

Has the SV2 kit been installed? I'm considering this option and would like to hear the good,bad or ugly...
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

lavrgs wrote:
Tue 06/09/20 8:07 pm
Has the SV2 kit been installed? I'm considering this option and would like to hear the good,bad or ugly...
with lots of reverb on top, Ennio!!! 😀😀😀
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I just bought the Granger Variable Power Control board and might try it on this 36 Watter I'm working on.
https://grangeramp.com/product/variable ... pc1-kit-2/
0 x