Chassis and Panels for 18W Projects

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Chassis and Panels for 18W Projects

Post by JMPGuitars »

coolidgeamps wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 1:27 pm
JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 11:50 am
What wattage are those resistors??
Only 1 watt Takmen Rey metal film, they have about a 5 watt sized lead. lol
They really do! That's crazy. I mostly use CMF60 resistors now (1W, 500V). I'd try those Takmen resistors out because the leads look awesome, but man, I love having the resistance value written on the casing for the resistor. I test everything before I build, but it's nice to test everything all at once and leave it in a pile.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

coolidgeamps

Post by coolidgeamps »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 2:48 pm
They really do! That's crazy. I mostly use CMF60 resistors now (1W, 500V). I'd try those Takmen resistors out because the leads look awesome, but man, I love having the resistance value written on the casing for the resistor. I test everything before I build, but it's nice to test everything all at once and leave it in a pile.
Ditto. I have bins of the red PRP audio resistors and like how the print the value vs color stripes. Other than being drop dead gorgeous I'm not seeing an advantage to the Takmen's vs the PRP's. I'll probably use up what I ordered then go back. I test every component before it goes into the amp pots and all. Shockingly, after untold numbers of PRP's tested I found one that was mis-printed. Labeled 100k it was actually 47k.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

coolidgeamps wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 4:49 pm
Ditto. I have bins of the red PRP audio resistors and like how the print the value vs color stripes. Other than being drop dead gorgeous I'm not seeing an advantage to the Takmen's vs the PRP's. I'll probably use up what I ordered then go back. I test every component before it goes into the amp pots and all. Shockingly, after untold numbers of PRP's tested I found one that was mis-printed. Labeled 100k it was actually 47k.
I almost never find anything even slightly off, but TBH it's nice when you find that 1 wrong value so you don't feel like you're wasting your time. ;)

I've never tried the red PRP resistors. They don't seem that easy to get compared to the CMF stuff.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

coolidgeamps

Post by coolidgeamps »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 5:26 pm
coolidgeamps wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 4:49 pm
I almost never find anything even slightly off, but TBH it's nice when you find that 1 wrong value so you don't feel like you're wasting your time. ;)

I've never tried the red PRP resistors. They don't seem that easy to get compared to the CMF stuff.
Sonic Craft carries them in 1/4, 1/2, and 1 watt. Wow they have gone up in price, they used to be 55 cents now 92 cents vs $1.50 for the Takman Rey's. http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/prp-watt-c-29_90_91
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

coolidgeamps wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 8:53 pm
Sonic Craft carries them in 1/4, 1/2, and 1 watt. Wow they have gone up in price, they used to be 55 cents now 92 cents vs $1.50 for the Takman Rey's. http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/prp-watt-c-29_90_91
That's not too bad. Some of the CMF I get are more expensive...and of course some are 1/3 the price too.

LOL! They offer matching. HiFi people are funny.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

coolidgeamps

Post by coolidgeamps »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 11/26/20 9:17 pm
LOL! They offer matching. HiFi people are funny.
Funny as in looney tunes. Who pays $150 for a Teflon capacitor??? Wow! Not even me.
1 x