Reverb RCA Cable GROUND WIRES

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Reverb RCA Cable GROUND WIRES

Post by ViperDoc »

I picked up some of these for a Princeton I recently built. The older cables I originally made were vintage externally shielded types. These look a bit more civilized, and have a built-in ground wire (not a shield, I don't believe) for connecting chassis' together. Is it worth the trouble to ground the reverb tank enclosure to the amp chassis? This Princeton is the first I've built with reverb, so I appreciate your advice. Cheers.

https://tubedepot.com/products/replacem ... YIQAvD_BwE
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Reverb RCA Cable GROUND WIRES

Post by JMPGuitars »

ViperDoc wrote:
Sat 10/10/20 12:26 am
I picked up some of these for a Princeton I recently built. The older cables I originally made were vintage externally shielded types. These look a bit more civilized, and have a built-in ground wire (not a shield, I don't believe) for connecting chassis' together. Is it worth the trouble to ground the reverb tank enclosure to the amp chassis? This Princeton is the first I've built with reverb, so I appreciate your advice. Cheers.

Those are standard RCA wires used for reverb tanks. You don't connect any grounds, and certainly not the chassis to the tank. The extra "wire" hanging off in the picture, is the rubber between the wires in case you need to separate the plugs from each other more to fit the tank.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ViperDoc »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 10/10/20 6:51 am
ViperDoc wrote:
Sat 10/10/20 12:26 am

Those are standard RCA wires used for reverb tanks. You don't connect any grounds, and certainly not the chassis to the tank. The extra "wire" hanging off in the picture, is the rubber between the wires in case you need to separate the plugs from each other more to fit the tank.
On the cables I bought there is indeed a strippable wire in between. It might be for daisy-grounding turn-table and hi-fi chassis. I stripped mine and bolted it to the tank. I'll just tape the other end off or disconnect it altogether.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ViperDoc wrote:
Sat 10/10/20 11:04 am
On the cables I bought there is indeed a strippable wire in between. It might be for daisy-grounding turn-table and hi-fi chassis. I stripped mine and bolted it to the tank. I'll just tape the other end off or disconnect it altogether.
lol, I forgot about those. Yeah, I think turntables sometimes do have a ground wire. Now I need to check if the ones I've been tearing have a wire or not. Didn't feel like it, but now I dunno.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale