Computer experts I need opinions on Linux/Mozzilla

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Well folks this is pretty way off topic but I need help! My computer crashes about every 15 to 30 minutes, I`ll be lucky to send this post. I have Windows ME. I am no computer wizard, not even close but have been thinking about installing Linux w/Mozzilla to cure my computers instability. Should I or no? Sorry about being so far off but man I just want to scream. Please email me directly at glenn.gertis@verizon with your opinions.

Thanks
Glenn Gertis
0 x

Espy

Post by Espy »

Email sent...I tried verizon.com and it bounced. Is it verizon.net? I just tried the address above with that and hopefully it reaches you. Either way feel free to contact me if you'd like help with your problem.
Espy
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

The Verizon account you posted bounced for me too... I sent it again to your profile email address...

hope it works this time...

gabi.
0 x

BirdZeye

Lose Windows ME

Post by BirdZeye »

Get rid of Windows ME. Windows ME is not exactly an example Microsoft's best work. :(

I would recommend XP if you have a machine that can handle it
Big install as it requires 1.5 to 2 GB of disk space to install.
Check requirements below.

XP Professional Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/ ... ysreqs.asp

I have been running XP for quite a while and have had very good luck with it. I use it on my home system, as well as on my work Laptop. I do application development and other assorted computer geek stuff, so the machines get a good workout. XP is a user friendly stable OS.

If it were my machine, and it couldn't handle the XP Install, I would Install Windows 98 over Windows ME hands down!

Theres my 2 cents worth.

Tom
8)
0 x

AdamK
Admin
Admin

Post by AdamK »

ME blows, that's for sure.

Paul has a great point. A yearly rebuild is an excellent idea. Any windows OS is going to get cranky after a year or so under normal usage.

I love linux, and have two linux workstations and a server here at home. But I do my browsing, emailing and game playing (heh) on XP. IE is dang fast compared to Mozilla (Opera is pretty fast, that's what I use on linux), you don't have the same display problems, multimedia on XP is much easier....

Give XP a shot if your computer is up for it, but know you'll need AT LEAST 256 mb RAM to make it useable. More is better. But if you have a jones to play with Linux just because, go for it!

I'm also assuming that you're somewhat familiar with Unix operating systems, if not than you might have a little learning curve at first to fight through.

Adam
0 x

GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Thanks Guys :D :D :D

My email should of read glenn.gertis@verizon.net

I have been fighting(and losing :wink: ) Windows ME since the day I opened the box. Its the only OS I`ve ever used and am looking foward to ditching it. I really appreciate your advice. I think I will try XP and in the future try Mandrake Linux on a partition. If you don`t hear from me soon that means I`m out shoping for a new machine :mrgreen:

It looks like I have enough resources for XP but my ram(256) is borderline. I`m going for it .

Thanks
Glenn Gertis
0 x

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Attilio »

Uh, Windows Me is probably the worst Microsoft's product. Even Win98 is much better.
I use Win 2000 and on a little partition Red Hat Linux. They both work very well, RH has a very low price but comes with a lot of applications. Win 2000 is very similar to XP (with worse user interface). I am satisfied of it.
Hope it helps you.
Sorry for my bad English.
Bye
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

I would go with Attilio's configuration... (win2k and Lynux on another partition)

This way you have both of the worlds.

I forgot to say the same thing as all did in this thread: STAY AWAY FROM WINDOZE ME !!!

:mrgreen:

gabi.
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myamp »

Do you have a good virus program? Have you downloaded a spyware program? You could also run MS config to turn off unwanted programs that are running in the background of your computer.

ME is not the best but it should run better yhan that.

Tom
0 x

GlennG

Post by GlennG »

After doing some snooping I found my ram to be 128 and about a zillion things running in the backround. I am using Spybot, Grissoft AVG . I think its better now that I turned off some things but its to late to turn back. I am going to upgrade.

Atilio, your English is fine my Italian is awful, Thank You.

Thanks everyone I couldn`t make the best decision without all of your help.

Glenn Gertis
0 x