Old blind guys:

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Old blind guys:

Post by Mr_dB »

Okay, I just turned 49 years old last week, and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. I went straight from no correction to bifocals at age 43, and a few years later had to start using reading glasses too.

Last time I tried soldering anything I ended up with my reading glasses AND the bifocals on, and was still using a magnifying glass to check my work. Anyone else in here with presbyopia, and if so, how do you cope with it for electronics construction?
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

My dad uses a big magnifying glass (like 6") on an arm that has a florescent ring bulb built into it. It's really pretty handy.

-Andy
0 x

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

I hear the "see clearly" method works wonders.
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

I have the same problem. I get the strongest pair of reading glasses that I can stand to use close up, you know, the kind that make you sick if you look of in the distance. Also get some good strong flourescent lighting right in the specific area you are working in. BTW, always wear your glasses, yesterday I reached into an amp I had just finished building to trim the end of a piece of wire. Got hold of it and cut it off, when I put my glasses on I found out I had cut the wire itself not the end piece.

Ken
0 x

Buschman
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Buschman »

Yep- me too. It's a real pisser ! I just keep strong peepers on my bench-stronger than what I would normally read with. Try getting under the dash of an vette to trace a wire or find a pin #. You just can't get far enough away!
What are you talking about Jersey?
0 x

bamboo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bamboo »

Might be worth checking out some of the head magnifiers.
Scroll down a couple items to see some inexpensive ones:
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p120_newproducts.htm

I used to have a nice orvis one when I was doing detailed work on IPSC pistols, but haven't used one in a long time. I've been thinking of picking up one lately cuz the eyes aren't quite what they used to be. :roll:
Once you get used to using one they are great...kind of like having superman's eyes. But, they do take a little getting used to.
0 x

Andrew4566
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Andrew4566 »

This is like the unit my dad has. i love the thing and my eyes are fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Enkay-2970-Desk-3X- ... dZViewItem

-Andy
0 x