Mable Exporting: Tar Pit or Gold Mine?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

MooreCowbelle
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Mable Exporting: Tar Pit or Gold Mine?

Post by MooreCowbelle »

Has anyone here dealt with Mable Exporting? I was just pseudo-spammed this morning by them, and was compelled enough to check their website...

http://www.mablexporting.cn/index.asp

I was wondering if anyone here had ordered anything from them or dealt with them indirectly. Prices look ridiculously low -- too good to be true? That's what I am thinking.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

I've been spammed by them before too and my beware-O-meter is pretty high. It looks like most of their stuff is surplus, so you will never know what you are getting. At least that's my guess.
Last edited by s2 on Tue 12/20/05 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

I wonder how much shipping would be from China??

Looks iffy to me.
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

I've also been spammed by them. It's that word - SPAM - that makes me refuse to respond, no matter how good it looks.

I'm especially worried by a (potentially) legit company that doesn't see anything wrong in spamming. I just can't see it being at all customer focused if something does go wrong - duff parts, lost shipment, etc.
0 x

vaultermn

Post by vaultermn »

Well, I just emailed them for a parts and s/h estimate for 3 KT66's and sockets, just to see what kind of response I get.

I've got got filtering on my gmail account, so I'm not to worried about spam. But if it's good, it might be worthwile to buy just a small 4-5 dollar item, and see if they make good on it...

Jon
0 x

csbradley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by csbradley »

Looking at the tube prices, it doesn't look extremely low or too good to be true. It's about what I would expect for wholesale prices. Add 30%+ percent and you get about the price that Weber sells the Shuguang tubes for. But with Weber, if you would happen to get a bad tube, a new one can show up at your door in a few days. With them, who knows what type of service you would get. Plus it ships from China instead of (for me) just up the street. Consider local shipping and service, ordering from China wouldn't be worth it to me.
0 x

Easto
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Easto »

loverocker wrote:I've also been spammed by them. It's that word - SPAM - that makes me refuse to respond, no matter how good it looks.

I'm especially worried by a (potentially) legit company that doesn't see anything wrong in spamming. I just can't see it being at all customer focused if something does go wrong - duff parts, lost shipment, etc.
I couldn't agree more.
0 x

markd
RIP July 26, 2006

Post by markd »

It's obvious that these guys have access to the people who supply Weber( or at least photos of those products!).

Look at the transformers. They all have the exact same windings as the Weber trannies. And the color code on all the wires is the same. Weber also carries that tagboard, and the caps and resitors also look exactly like the ones Weber sells. Either Webers supplier is undercutting him behind his back or there is some scam going on in China.
mdurham
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

If it is the supplier to Weber, Ted shouldn't get his panties in bunge. This is no different than you or I buying parts from the same vendor/supplier that Marshall or Fender might employ in building their amps. Same thing for boutique vendors. I can buy the same stuff they do from the same vendors, granted some of these places may require a certain requirement to buy from them, quantities, minimum order value, business verification of some sort, etc., however these requirements are usually easily met.
0 x

Legin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Legin »

I have one of their #86 trannies in my sIII, it runs a bit warm but nothing significant and seems well built. I didn't buy direct it came through my local supplier however I shall be getting a parts quote from them.
0 x

sdp1234
Unrated

Post by sdp1234 »

They said that they can't ship transformers to the USA. I'd like to know what their shipping would be for other parts.
0 x

Legin
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Legin »

They use DHL and have quoted me US$50 for a #86 trannie including shipping to Australia.
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Call it spam if you like but it looks like targeted advertising in the easiest way available to me. The Chinese make things cheaper than anyone and they are rapidly learning about quality assurance. The Chinese business system works in such a way that to be entrepreneurial you have to sell products to foreigners. Warehousing costs are low. Wages are low and Chinese prices reflect that - these prices will give them a good return despite selling in relatively small quantities. And have you seen the stupid prices the HiFi buffs pay for those 300Bs? There are some scam operators around, but you can't tar them all with the same brush. The obvious drawbacks are that import duty will be charged, and the goods might be held up for months if they come under an exceeded import quota - there have been enormous problems in the last year because the EU textile finished goods quotas were exceeded. As one marketing guru put it, you go to Macdonalds and the man serving you offers a kid's toy for a dollar extra. Maybe you buy it, maybe you don't. But someone comes up to you on the street and offers you the same toy at the same price - you don't buy, it has too many question marks over it. Let's see what happens with the small orders before judging.
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

"Call it spam if you like but it looks like targeted advertising in the easiest way available to me"

I have *real* problems with that mindset. It requires you to turn a blind eye to the fact that the Marble Exporting email is unsolicited. That's what makes it spam. Here's a reminder, next time you're deleting the endless V1agra/Buy stock/etc spam emails and wondering who on Earth ever follows them up, you now know. It disheartens me that sensible people choose to reward spammers with their custom.

The fact that it's China is neither here nor there. However, the fact that the Chinese state has less of a problem with their Net users sending billions of spam messages than they do when the same people Google for "freedom" or "democracy" is - IMHO - very relevant.

D'oh! Now I'm going to feel grumpy all day... :(
0 x

vaultermn

Post by vaultermn »

FWIW, here's the reply for my request for an estimate for 3 KT66's and 3 sockets:
Dear Jon

Thanks for your inquiry!

See price below for you:

GZC8-Y-1 USD0.4/PCS 3pcs USD1.2
KT66 USD12.5/PCS 3pcs USD37.5

So total by DHL to USA is USD66

You can send payment to our PayPal account mable@mablexporting.com

How do you think?

Best regards

Miss Mable

web: www.mablexporting.cn

tel: 0086-755-82908715
MSN: mable_129@hotmail.com
skp: mablelee215
So it looks like shipping is about $27 for the tubes, but is still cheaper than some other places, albet with unknown tubes...

Jon
0 x

tubetwang
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by tubetwang »

one day...everybody will buy from China...

one day...we'll all be Chinese...
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I think I'd still rather deal with someone I can easily and cheaply return a bad tube to, even if it is just a few $$$ more.
0 x

lastwinj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by lastwinj »

spam bites!!!!
0 x
Jeremy Ledford
Builder Extroardinaire
Scinnimin on Ebay

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

One thing many tend to forget about in figuring why Chinese goods are so cheap, is that they do not have to abide by any sort of regulations in commerce whether that is trade practices, environmental, labor, etc. From the stories I've heard, and read is that the amount of industrial waste pilling up because of the manufacturing boom is staggering. Mountains of waste and no plan for disposing of it safely. I won't go into the other areas as they are too political, but it doesn't exactly send me warm fuzzies to buy cheaply from anywhere that has these practices, no matter where they are located.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/interna ... 92,00.html
0 x