Sad news, sign of the times...

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

Bacchus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Sad news, sign of the times...

Post by Bacchus »

I was saddened to read the news that Manny's in NYC was closing at the end of May.

Every time I'm in NYC, I'd always pop by and gaze at all the memorabilia and posters on the walls. Lots of famous people passed through those doors...

Sad news indeed...

http://lostnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/200 ... c-row.html
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

Very Sad indeed ! got my first FuzzFace from Manny's, makes you wonder where it's all Heading, Probably a good thing we Don't know though !
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Very sad indeed. I never have gotten to go there. I like the idea of preserving it at the Rock Hall of Fame.

In this day of mega stores, I miss the old funky stores with good service and great finds and good service. I also miss the old pawn shops where you could get a great deal - now with EBay and blue books and collectable instruments, the pawn shops are too in the know.
0 x

BDC
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BDC »

Wow......bummer. Guitar center has done it again......
Of course the music industry isn't what it used to be.....
0 x

SkynyrdSurvivor

Post by SkynyrdSurvivor »

I remember walking down Music Row back in the 70's. There were storefronts full of any guitar you could imagine. Firebird 1's, Danelectro's, old Tele's, Strats, Duoble cut LP Jr's...

There were amps too. They had all the cool amps before they were cool.

It wasn't just one store, it was a dozen. It was a fantasy tour all on one block.

Just paving paradise...
0 x

rsi
Unrated

Post by rsi »

That's sad. I bought a lot of stuff there. I used to walk over to 48th street on my lunch hour when I lived in NYC.

I was just reading that book "Please Kill Me". In it, Dee Dee Ramone was saying how he and Johnny bought their first guitars at Manny's one payday. I also read somewhere that Jimi Hendrix used to buy like, a strat a week at Manny's when he was in NYC.

Oh well.
0 x

Easto
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Easto »

Strange, but I'm sitting here wearing my Manny's t-shirt that I bought last Thanksgiving while I was in NY. My first time in NY to visit my brother and I told him there was only 1 place that I really wanted to go... Manny's!
0 x