Jim Marshall - R.I.P.

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

conger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Jim Marshall - R.I.P.

Post by conger »

0 x

Pressed_Rat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Pressed_Rat »

Yes. Very sad. A friend at work told me this morning.
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

i suppose he is the whole reason this website exists! indeed, RIP.
0 x

TomOlsen1
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by TomOlsen1 »

Had the pleasure of meeting the man at trade show once. R.I.P.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

You will get a fascinating viewpoint on Jim Marshall in this thread, featuring one of the guys who worked with him when Marshalls was in its earliest embryonic stage - http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... =1&t=86352 One of my buddies back in the UK was their next door neighbour in Boston Manor Road, Hanwell, when he was a kid. He says the Marshalls garage was always stacked full of amps, but at the time he was of course too small to understand the significance of what was happening. He probably even saw Townshend, Clapton and Hendrix getting amps from Jim's garage, without any idea of who they were. 8O

The passing of an era. RIP Jim....
i suppose he is the whole reason this website exists!
Well, him and Charlie Watkins. The Marshall 18W design was almost an exact copy of the Watkins "V Front" Dominator - http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/ampcombo.htm
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Magnus Toelle
Unrated

Re: Jim Marshall - R.I.P.

Post by Magnus Toelle »

Good Day,

this is my first posting, and it feels odd that my first one actually refers to the saddening passing of Jim Marshall over a year ago.

In memory of Jim, I would just like to recommend a fascinating book about him; for those who should not know it yet.
Jim Marshall the Father of Loud: The Story of the Man Behind the World's Most Famous Amp

It is a fascinating book, which nicely bridges the company's history, Jim's personal life, the close affiliation with musicians and Marshall amp models.
While you will not find any schematics in there, the technically interested reader will find some good tech background information also...

I have much enjoyed reading the first 100 pages, and I believe it even gets better.
A truly enjoyable reading "spot" is what Jim said in return to an offer from the Harmon Instruments company, which have offered him 100 million British pounds plus 1 million GBP/year for 15 years (!) back in 1989. That amount would translate to about 256 million USD today.

Read page 77 for Jim's reaction to this offer...

May he rest in peace.

Cheers,

Magnus
0 x
Why does it hurt when my heart misses the beat?