Gig report from Scotland

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

ColinM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Gig report from Scotland

Post by ColinM »

Guys
I played a gig on Friday night using the 'group clone'. I had the two guitars with me which were depicted in the last shots I posted. It was a corporate function (great money, but dull music, I'm afraid) in a large ballroom, and there was a 'full' PA in use.

The first set was 30's/40's swing. I had the white guitar running through the bright/trem channel at half volume. For the rhythm parts, I used a Boss 'acoustic simulator' pedal. This filters out the frequencies that make one's tone 'electric', in the hope that it will, therefore, sound 'acoustic'. It doesn't, of course, but it does yield a very pleasantly transparent, useable tone. If you ever need to sound like Amos Garrett on 'Midnight at the Oasis', this is your baby (you'll also need years and years of practice and a 'death or glory' attitude to playing solos :lol: ). When the lead breaks came up, I switched the pedal out, thus boosting my volume and yielding a very nice Charlie Christianish 'on the edge' jazzy tone. Lovely :D

The second set was motown/soul/blues with a slightly more rocky edge. I used the telecaster with an A/B box. The rhythm tone was the bright channel at around volume 6. The lead tone was the normal channel on 11 :mrgreen:
I also had a tuner and a volume pedal in line. The band lineup was me, drums, bass, keys, trombone and trumpet. The 'bone player also played bits and pieces of rhythm guitar and he, the trumpeter and myself all sang. The onstage volume was loud :P . To be honest, I had to have a fair bit of my guitar in the monitor, but this was often the case with my old 18w. All in all, it sounded just like the original, except there was just a wee bit more gain on that normal channel, and the bright channel is (very agreeably) less bright than on the oldie. All in all, I find myself less inclined to use effects, boosters etc to modify the amp's basic tone.

The encore ('Black Magic Woman' :oops: ) had me dig out the semi and wind it up for the solos. Feedback-tasic 8) !! The guys in the band, by the way, were knocked out (and deeply jealous!) with the amp. I had thought they may have thought it a little ostentatious, what with my name on it, and all. When I mentioned this to the bassman, he simply replied "drummers do that all the time". He's right, too :D

Best wishes, Colin
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Colin: thanks for the cool info. Still clearing the cobwebs from my head this morning..or is it afternoon..lol The best way to tell how an amp sounds,is if it works in a player setting. Seems there is a frequency curtian that is about at the front wall of the stage. And how it sounds or if it penetrates through. Wich some amps get cluttered in all the band sounds and just don't seem to come through. I guess untill its mic'ed and through the PA.
But i like to hear all of the instruments coming off the stage..from listening out front. Some of the bands use the high gain amps,and sometimes can't tell whats being played. Kinda mush. What most people find is.. a high gain amp makes it easier to play. And less gain amps you have to pick each note.More like if you were playing an acoustic guitar. Hope this makes sense. Just my observation..lol
I had a couple amps at the guitar siminar yesterday. And got to meet one of the Fellow members and amp builder.
Richie
0 x