FYI - Interesting Ceriatone Article

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

FYI - Interesting Ceriatone Article

Post by zaphod_phil »

I found this link posted on AX84. Mentions Billy Gibbons too...
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?fi ... =audiofile
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

allynmey
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by allynmey »

Nice article... Nik's a solid guy, nice to see he's getting some recognition!

Allynmey
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

No mention of the old yahoo group or 18watt.com or any of the guys that debugged the orginal design. Interesting.... It would have been nice to reference all the work that was done prior to his coming on board.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I doubt that the article writer would have been aware of that history, and like you said Nik got involved in the 18W thing somewhat later on. I may be wrong, but I suspect I may have been the one who introduced him to 18 watt amps....
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

''''""""Well, the relevant schematics and circuit diagrams have always been available on the World Wide Web""""

As articles go,they always seem to have mistakes,i think your at the mercy of the writer.. but the 18 layout was not always on the WWW until we started the group and put it out there. And Graydon was the one that started the intrest in building these amps,or got the ball rolling so to speak.
Marshall themselves said, the intrest was raised in the DIY "after" the re-issiue or kinda backwards.
As for people buying a marshall clone,or selling an amp to Billy Gibbons,or making an amp that has evolved from the 18,probably would not have happened if it weren't for the people that have figured it out long before them.
Some amp builders mention 18 watt.com proudly, and then some say its there own design or something close,and no mention where it came from.
I think the AX84 site has rights to things that are designed from there site.

Nik does offer a good deal on the DIY kits, i think this is more what the article was about.

Richie
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Plexi wrote:I think the AX84 site has rights to things that are designed from there site.
Only to usage of the name "AX84" or the project names, like, "P1" or "November". The designs are free for anyone to use in whichever way they please.
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

"I think the AX84 site has rights to things that are designed from their site. "

Chris H. claims trademark rights to "Ax84" plus the various names that have been given to amp designs originating from the Ax84 (TM) site. The designs are public domain, Chris says, "build 'em, sell 'em... just don't call your amp a P1". The exception is if you were involved in the design process, for instance Mark H. has a November variant on the site so he may be able to sell that version as a "November".

The original concept of the site was to create a co-operative tube amp project which is exactly what the November turned out to be. Obviously enough it's mostly a Randall Aiken design although various builders contributed their variations of it, many are closely related to the "original" design, others depart substantially from the "original" design.

Part of Aiken's concept was to promote awareness of tube technology, I can say from personal experience that there are now more resources available for tube amp builders than there have been for the last 35 years or so, Ax84 circa 1998 contributed greatly to creating the current proliferation of tube amp resources. Even ten years ago availability of schematics and technical information related to tube guitar amps was limited, with the Internet any of us can access libraries of technical information worldwide. The only drawback is that with the proliferation of information it is still necessary to seperate fact from fiction. It's difficult to argue with a reprint of a vintage schematic or a posting of engineering data, by the same token schematics are frequently re-drawn to skirt copyrights and may contain errors, transcriptions of data sets also may contain errors.

Another benefit of the explosion of interest in vintage tube amp designs is that there are more hardware resources available for amp builders than there have been available since about 1960, in some areas there are more products tailored to "our" needs than there ever have been, for instance we now have more choices of guitar speakers than we ever had. Availability of chassis and transformer products is fantastic, without these some amps would be at least a lot more difficult to build, it would be impractical or impossible to build some designs without these products.
0 x

jersey_aaron
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by jersey_aaron »

Funny thing about Nik saying he hopes Marshall buys them out. If they did, they'd probably turn him into a $3 an hour wage slave.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

At least Nik isn't out there saying he has designed something new and patenting designs in common use like a more famous amp maker! :wink:

I'm glad he's getting recognition so he'll stay available as a resource for parts. He seems like a good guy who offers a good product.

As for 18watt.com not getting mentioned, most of what you read always tries to market the subject as the originator. In Marshall's case, they made the first one, period. Now if 65 Amps claimed to have made a totally unique "new" amp, that would be wrong.

Lets face it, all of this stuff started from a tube manual somewhere. Maybe Tesla or Edison could claim some originality, but Leo Fender and Jim Marshall didn't create the stuff out of thin air and no-one today does either.

Go Nik - I hope you get a lot more recognition.
0 x