Bored with my 5f11. Any mod ideas?

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

cstenger5

Bored with my 5f11. Any mod ideas?

Post by cstenger5 »

I built a Vibrolux as my first build, and it was really a great experience. I added a switch to remove the nfb loop, and a pre pi master volume. It's a bit more versatile now, as I can get a little more deluxe like grit with the nfb switch, and also tame the pi with the MV which seems to help it accept pedals a little better. It's currently running into a Celestion 12" Gold, but I've also run it into a 2x10 WGS loaded cab. Sounds great, but even with additional options, it still feels like a one-trick pony.

Any thoughts on project ideas for new mods to add? I do have space in the chassis to add another noval socket, and enough PT amps to heat a 12ax7 or presumably an EF86. I'm not sure I actually want to do that, but like I said I'm bored with it. A cascadable EF86 might be insanely fun.
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Bored with my 5f11. Any mod ideas?

Post by Bieworm »

If the amp is fine I would leave it as is. Then explore new territory on a new amp build. Blank canvas...
Modding an amp will probably make it messy.
I'm doing a 6G3 kind of amp build at the moment. It's pretty inspiring...
20210913_212103.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

As it's a F*nd*r amp, I would shove a stick of dynamite inside and light the fuse. Your biggest power chord ever! :lol:
3 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :)
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Fri 09/17/21 1:29 pm
As it's a F*nd*r amp, I would shove a stick of dynamite inside and light the fuse. Your biggest power chord ever! :lol:
Hahahahahaha agreed!
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Marshall stuff outside of the el84 stuff, and JCM800s. I'm a big fan of many of the derivatives. The Bogner Shiva is one of my all time favorites. But of course, they're all derivatives of the Tweed Bassman, - but you know what I mean.

In my twenties I worked for Veneman music/ Music Emporium. I had my pick of early to late 90s new gear, and tons of used stuff to play on a daily basis. I always gravitated toward the Shiva, the Ecstasy, the original Buddas, and the Tweed and blonde/brown CS Fenders. And if I was demoing boutique pedals, I'd always run into a run of the mill Blues DeVille. The matchless stuff was fantastic, of course, but too loud for anything but the stage without attenuation, and we would only occasionally have THD hot plates in stock. They were typically special order items, and attenuation wasn't much of a thing outside of that.
So much of what I want to do in terms of amp building is based on recapturing that Shiva, making lower watt versions of the matchless, and having nice vintage fenderey stuff.

On stage, I'd play a vht 45, a Budda twinmaster, and a blues DeVille more than anything else I ever owned. I loved the vht, but I'm not sure how much I'd love it today. The Buddha is was and always will be spectacular, and I always wish I hadn't sold that one. And I really really wish I had never sold my handwired Egnater ie4.
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

cstenger5 wrote:
Sat 09/18/21 10:07 am
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Marshall stuff outside of the el84 stuff, and JCM800s. I'm a big fan of many of the derivatives. The Bogner Shiva is one of my all time favorites. But of course, they're all derivatives of the Tweed Bassman, - but you know what I mean.
Me neither! I actually used to hate all the Marshalls and F**nd@#s I'd heard. I went through a bunch of Mesa Boogie amps that I enjoyed over the years...and then I built my first 18 watter, and the Mesa went from sounding awesome to sounding like sterile trash. I haven't found a circuit ON THIS SITE that I don't like. But I would never go buy a commercial M or F amp.

Thanks,
Josh
3 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

I still want to do something different with this amp. The only time I gravitate toward it is when I want to play around with tremolo, and that's almost never. The amp sounds good, but its lack of versatility is going to cause it to gather a lot of dust.
I was thinking about maybe doing the preamp and PI sections of Rob Robinette's Blackvibe as a drop-in board replacement, but then I realized that I'm unsure of how my power supply would need to change. I'm assuming the goal is to make sure I'm matching plate voltages in the preamp and pi with Rob's design, since I'm using the existing power amp. He's also got a choke on the blackvibe, so I'll have to figure out that whole situation as well - or not. If I understand it all well enough (and it might be a stretch to say I do), I should be able to use a resistor in place of the choke until such time that I decide to add that piece.
Any advice for resources? Am I way off base? Don't hesitate to let me know where I'm completely and utterly wrong. My goal is to screw around and have fun with the circuit, in a way that forces me to learn while I'm doing it. I have no attachment to that Vibrolux at this point. It got me to build my first amp, and now I want it to get me to learn more.

Thanks in advance folks. You guys have been amazing with the advice so far.
Last edited by cstenger5 on Wed 10/13/21 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

cstenger5 wrote:
Sat 09/18/21 10:07 am

In my twenties I worked for Veneman music/ Music Emporium. I had my pick of early to late 90s new gear, and tons of used stuff to play on a daily basis. I always gravitated toward the Shiva, the Ecstasy, the original Buddas, and the Tweed and blonde/brown CS Fenders. And if I was demoing boutique pedals, I'd always run into a run of the mill Blues DeVille. The matchless stuff was fantastic, of course, but too loud for anything but the stage without attenuation, and we would only occasionally have THD hot plates in stock. They were typically special order items, and attenuation wasn't much of a thing outside of that.
So much of what I want to do in terms of amp building is based on recapturing that Shiva, making lower watt versions of the matchless, and having nice vintage fenderey stuff.

On stage, I'd play a vht 45, a Budda twinmaster, and a blues DeVille more than anything else I ever owned. I loved the vht, but I'm not sure how much I'd love it today. The Buddha is was and always will be spectacular, and I always wish I hadn't sold that one. And I really really wish I had never sold my handwired Egnater ie4.
I had an EL34 Shiva for years, serving as my main amp. I loved it to death!! But it had to be very loud to sound awesome. Always got complains about that .. I didn't mind@😉
1 x

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 10/13/21 11:25 am
I had an EL34 Shiva for years, serving as my main amp. I loved it to death!! But it had to be very loud to sound awesome. Always got complains about that .. I didn't mind@😉
Loved that amp so much. I want to build one, but in truth, I expect these 18s suit me just as well.
1 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

I finished it. EF86 -> LTP PI -> the rest 5F11. Really pleasantly surprised with how it sounds. I posted a clip on the Hear it board.

viewtopic.php?t=25994
2 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

cstenger5 wrote:
Tue 11/23/21 12:44 pm
I finished it. EF86 -> LTP PI -> the rest 5F11. Really pleasantly surprised with how it sounds. I posted a clip on the Hear it board.

viewtopic.php?t=25994
It definitely has its own throat 👍👍👍
1 x