Favorite Widowmaker

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Jmay
Unrated

Favorite Widowmaker

Post by Jmay »

Hello From Tejas,

This is my first post I gotta to say lots of good stuff on here I've been lurking about for some time checking things out.

So I'm looking for a good schematic for one of the old Widowmaker type guitar amps. I plan to use an ISO transformer so no big deal with the electrical hazard.

I got a couple of old transformers I can use for input iso transformers. I also have a couple of audio output transformers. So I thought this could be a pretty cheap build not having to buy an input transformer that's why I was looking at the Widowmaker type / hot chassis design then had no input transformer and fed with 120v with no heater transformer either.

With all that being said I know these designs were usually on the cheap side so I know they're not super high quality audio output. Just thought it would be fun, easy, and cheap. Your recommendations on design schematic please!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Favorite Widowmaker

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hi, welcome to the site. You can read more info about "Widowmakers" here: https://robrobinette.com/Widowmakers.htm

I don't recommend going down that road. If you want an inexpensive build, I would look towards the Lite 2b in our downloads section: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24431 - simple circuit, and sounds great.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Jmay
Unrated

Re: Favorite Widowmaker

Post by Jmay »