Thoughts on a 5E3 Hybrid

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Thoughts on a 5E3 Hybrid

Post by crgfrench »

My current "Hellhound" build is a sleeper like you describe; it's an 18W Fullerwell using 6V6s in a tweed 5E3 cab & chassis.
20191002_213332.jpg
20191002_212633.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Ampman5150 wrote:
Wed 11/20/19 11:57 am
Brillant..
If you want to keep it simple like that, you certainly can. You can stick with the tubes you have if you want, or you can use socket adapters to change to noval sockets as per that schematic. That's entirely up to you, and the sound you're after.

Personally, if I wanted to make something funky in there, I would use this schematic for the 18watt portion: storage/18wattLite2b.gif

Then I would do your hi/lo triode half inputs like the 5E3, and use a push-pull pot to disable 1 channel and have the input tube used in parallel instead of just half. That would give you a lot of fun options.

I would also suggest experimenting between the AY7 and AX7 input tube and see what you like best.

Also, you will want to make sure you bias the output tubes correctly. If you use EL84s, a pair should show 12V across the cathode bias resistor. 125R (in the schematic you shared) will almost certainly be too low. I usually use around 180R, but YMMV.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Finally got a chance to build the board for my 5E3 hybrid, this is the 18W Fullerwell circuit on a Hoffman turretboard, going into a Mojotone 5E3 chassis with a Merren Drake 784-103 OT. This is my first turretboard and I did my best to put it together Danny Russell style.
20200329_210302.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x