3-input LTP PI

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: 3-input LTP PI

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah that's the difference with the couplers of the normal "lite" & TMB channels on my amp,the TMB has a 22n into the phase inverter and is a bit darker than the normal channel with 10n.
another thing i do on the 18W is replace the 4n7 feeding off the plate with a 10n which lets more breakup through "read the notes on ZP's parallel/cascade mod" but the you have to adjust the values in the tonestack to suit the extra bass coming thru.
2 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

crgfrench wrote:
Tue 08/11/20 10:41 am
If you look at my schematic you'll see it is just like what Aiken calls "3 input PI". Its great.
download/file.php?id=12536&mode=view
Craig, looking at your schematic in more details as I'm drawing mine:

Essentially your feedback loop is wired to the input which has the phase complications. You are sending feedback to both power tubes with the same phase, while the preamp signal is out of phase in each power tube. I'm not sure how that affects NFB.

It would be interesting to disconnect one of the channels and put the feedback in the current TMB channel input to see how that affects the sound...

Having read a bit more I'm erring on the side of using mixing resistors - will be closer to the original tone of the Reverb Deluxe which has these. I'm not sure what it does to the Bassman preamp tone but I won't get the true Bassman tone anyway. Feels like it will be easier to implement the Bassman-style presence pot too
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

Other idea for mixing signals, which I'm not sure I've seen before in a guitar amp build!

If I threw in one more tube to the build I suppose I could do that + have the trem after all. 1 stone..

Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

The Aiken discussion has an error. His input points 2 (lower end of C2) and 3 (lower end of R6) are the same point in the circuit. So it's a 2 input setup after all.
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

That’s right

I think I’ve concluded on mixing AB763 and 5F6-A channels. Both actually have mixing resistors originally

So I would move the bassman mixing resistor after V1 to after v2 / tone stack and make it 220k rather than 270k

Just thinking whether moving the 5F6-A volume control after the tone stack would decrease the interaction of the 5F6-A tone stack and the AB763 channel. To be experimented with, I don’t think it would make a major difference
1 x