Advice needed...

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Advice needed...

Post by JMPGuitars »

The4thWatcher13 wrote:
Fri 07/02/21 10:12 pm
Thanks, Jack. I'm trying really hard to find an excuse to buy a Les Paul. Maybe not a Gibson, which I certainly would like, but definitely a dual coil axe. There is some nice stuff out there to be had and I've found taking your time searching can really pay off in the end! (yes, I've been looking,..a lot!) :D I've got a buddy that's one of the local guitar/tech Gods and he said "dude, those are the Single Coil Blues! Not much you can do about it. Been a problem since the beginning."
So, yeah, you can only do what you can do. But I'll keep at it.
I'm not a big fan of Gibson quality control (at all really, since there isn't any). I do like my CS-356 a lot, but it's the best guitar they ever made. I don't like that I'm paranoid about the headstock deciding to spontaneously combust.

PRS makes better LPs than Gibson does, including their S2 and SE models if you're on a budget. If you buy an SE, you could swap out the pickups for anything you want.

ESP/LTD also makes good LP shaped guitars (specifically the EC-1000 models), but don't get EMG pickups, they're 1 trick ponies, and not awesome. I guess you could swap those out too if you get a good deal. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

The4thWatcher13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by The4thWatcher13 »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 07/03/21 9:32 am
I'm not a big fan of Gibson quality control (at all really, since there isn't any). I do like my CS-356 a lot, but it's the best guitar they ever made. I don't like that I'm paranoid about the headstock deciding to spontaneously combust.
*PRS makes better LPs than Gibson does, including their S2 and SE models if you're on a budget. If you buy an SE, you could swap out the pickups for anything you want.
*ESP/LTD also makes good LP shaped guitars (specifically the EC-1000 models), but don't get EMG pickups, they're 1 trick ponies, and not awesome. I guess you could swap those out too if you get a good deal. ;) Thanks, Josh
Thanks for the info, Josh. I looked up that CS-356. That guitar costs more than some of the cars I've had! It's a real beauty tho. 8)
2 x
"Things are only impossible until they are not!" - Jean-Luc Picard.

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

The best les Paul I had was a 2004 PRS singlecut. Although it was a superb instrument I sold it year later for it didn't suit me lookwise. It's too clean and posh.. I like simple and oldskool. That jazzmaster I built is my thang! It sports a P90 in the bridge.. It's somewhat noisy but perfect.
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The4thWatcher13 wrote:
Sat 07/03/21 1:51 pm
Thanks for the info, Josh. I looked up that CS-356. That guitar costs more than some of the cars I've had! It's a real beauty tho. 8)
Lol, yeah, that's one of the reasons the Epiphone AlleyKat I replaced all the hardware/electronics on gets more use. ;)

That, and the DiMarzio pickups I put in it sound better than anything I've ever heard from Gibson.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

The4thWatcher13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by The4thWatcher13 »

Well, I went an did it. It took me three months but a deal came by and I pulled the trigger! So now I'm the proud owner of a 2012 "R-body", Les Paul Standard Plus Premium, or something like that. Slightly modified with Reverend Rail Hammer pickups, Grover locking tuners and Tone Pro jack. The rest is Switch craft and Alpha.
Hooked it up to my little amp and voila, no hum what so ever. And it sounds pretty darn good and it's loud! I have the amp plugged into a Fender Blues Jr. cab with no amp that I use for, whatever, and the amp has a fair bit of growl through the 12"in. speaker. I can't do a recording right now but will in the near future. I'm every appreciative to all here who've helped me this far. Some tweaks may be needed in the future but we'll see. I'll have to let a few of my buddies play it and see what they say. A proper head case is in the making as well currently also. I think it's a little heavy on the low freq throughout the range of the tone control but it may just be the p'ups. I'll have to listen more critically later. Tonight it's all about fun and gratitude!
Thanks again,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
"Things are only impossible until they are not!" - Jean-Luc Picard.