Correct placement of a choke

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

roadshow

Correct placement of a choke

Post by roadshow »

I'm looking at amp builds and notice that Marshall tends to put the choke in it's circuits as far from the main transformer as possible or at least the other side of the output transformer. When I look at Fender they seem to place it right by the power supply section which I would think is the most logical.

Is one way more preferable or does it matter? Why would they follow different methodologies?

Thanks
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Correct placement of a choke

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Which Fender amp(s) place a choke ahead of the output transformer?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Mon 04/12/21 11:43 pm
Which F*nder amp(s) place a choke ahead of the output transformer?
On a deluxe reverb the choke sits between the PT and OT. Pretty close to each other. It's ok like that...apparently 😊
I wasn't too confident on that either, so I separated them some more:
20201017_200447.jpg
This is a vintage deluxe reverb:
Screenshot_20210413-114111_Samsung Internet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

LOL, I totally misunderstood the OP's post. When he said "in the circuitry," I immediately thought of a schematic with a choke right after the rectifier. :lol: Anyway, as long as the choke is bypassed with filter caps on both sides, interaction with other components isn't an issue. It doesn't produce any AC flux. The choke in my recent build is on the opposite side from the PT, underneath the chassis, just inches from the input stages and related components. That was the least of my worries. :lol:

Jack
2 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

roadshow wrote:
Mon 04/12/21 8:24 pm
I'm looking at amp builds and notice that Marshall tends to put the choke in it's circuits as far from the main transformer as possible or at least the other side of the output transformer. When I look at F*nder they seem to place it right by the power supply section which I would think is the most logical.

Is one way more preferable or does it matter? Why would they follow different methodologies?

Thanks
I suspect Marshall is keeping the choke well away from the PT, to help minimize the possibility of the choke picking up hum from the PT.
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp