1 watt amp

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 1 watt amp

Post by Bieworm »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sun 05/09/21 12:38 pm
The thing is, if the 125A is down 1 dB at 150 Hz, it's probably about half power (-3 dB) at the bottom of a 6 string. It would be interesting to know whether the Marshall OEM transformer is available at a reasonable price, or at least how it performs in this regard for comparison.

Jack
Let's start with the fact I use the 125A... wgat is the better alternative in output tube? Can I do better?
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Off topic again: this is the result of the neck.. strung up:
20210509_204324.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 05/09/21 1:42 pm
TriodeLuvr wrote:
The thing is, if the 125A is down 1 dB at 150 Hz, it's probably about half power (-3 dB) at the bottom of a 6 string. It would be interesting to know whether the Marshall OEM transformer is available at a reasonable price, or at least how it performs in this regard for comparison.

Jack
Let's start with the fact I use the 125A... wgat is the better alternative in output tube? Can I do better?
Low frequency response is limited by the transformer's primary inductance, as well as core size, number of turns and voltage across the winding(s). The last three each create a finite limitation regarding core flux (saturation) at low frequencies, but which of them is the most significant is something only Hammond knows. In other words, it might be possible to achieve better low end response with a certain input impedance (dependent on tube type) and output tap, or some combination of ratios vs. output power, but knowing the best combination would require access to Hammond's internal engineering data.

Hammond does provide graphs showing response of the single-ended 125ESE at various impedance ratios. Generally, the low end is extended at lower primary impedances. Output impedance (4-8-16) appears to affect only high end rolloff. If the 125A behaves similarly, and if its published response specifications are worst case (presumably the highest primary impedance), then a different tube type or other technique for using a lower Z tap might be of benefit. The problem is, triodes with lower Rp generally have larger anode structures, therefore also higher dissipation and output power. So, we're no longer dealing with a 1W amplifier. It might be possible to manage this using a resistive divider or other than optimum biasing, but that would need to be worked out as a separate issue.

All things considered, locating a transformer with better performance is a much more satisfactory (and less experimental) solution. This is a niche market though, and small transformers don't entail the profit levels of their larger cousins. Nothing seems to be available as far as I can determine, the sole exception being the Hammond single-ended design. In the end, the main question in my mind is whether the sound of the Marshall can truly be duplicated without the OEM transformer. I do know the Hammond 125 push-pull series has been used in many low power amplifiers. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of them live, and I have no direct experience with them that might be helpful in your project.

Jack
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
The reduced low end response will probably give better cut-through
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sun 05/09/21 4:32 pm
TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
Maybe not. This isn't like turning down the bass control. The electronics driving the transformer won't benefit by not having to reproduce bass notes. The loss is occurring after the active electronics, so there's no corresponding increase in mid/treble headroom. Anyway, a bigger issue here as I understand it is that this project is for someone else. They want it to sound like the Marshall.

Jack
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote:
TriodeLuvr wrote:

Jack
LOL!!! what are we trying to cut through here? The wife doing the dishes or noisy children? :D :D :D
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

The Ampmaker OT worked fine for me playing through a 10" Greenback the guy I built it for bought.

Dd
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 05/10/21 1:43 am
zaphod_phil wrote:
LOL!!! what are we trying to cut through here? The wife doing the dishes or noisy children? :D :D :D
Are your kids baritones, and your wife a bass? Then it might help. ;) ;)
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Bieworm check out the output transformer Dd mentioned at www.ampmaker.com, 4W push/pull,bandwidth 85Hz-6K Hz,output impedance 22.5K ohms.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Mon 05/10/21 6:48 am
Bieworm check out the output transformer Dd mentioned at www.ampmaker.com, 4W push/pull,bandwidth 85Hz-6K Hz,output impedance 22.5K ohms.
I've read people have used the hammond 125A with success. That ampmaker OT has to be ordered in the UK. I'm from Belgium, ok we're neighbors, but shipping UK-EU is not that great at the moment with all that Brexit thrash...

EDIT: thx for the tip.. I can save some €€ ordering at ampmaker
0 x