A fun weekend with a Mesa DC5

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

cstenger5

A fun weekend with a Mesa DC5

Post by cstenger5 »

It's been a couple decades since I played with a Mesa/Boogie Mark-like amp. I have more recently played some of the rectos, and wasn't super crazy about them. Similar to the Soldanos, I really couldn't get tones in my comfort zone. But that said, I never did a lot of speaker swapping and EQ a/b-ing with them.
So yesterday and this morning I did just that, but with the dc5. I sat with my modded, speaker upgraded DeVille, my modded vibrolx, my buddies jcm 800, and my 18 Watt tmb. Running through each of the other amps native speakers and working with gain, parametric, and graphic EQ, I could get in the ballpark of replicating each one of those amps on the DC5, and be satisfied. Now, I'd prefer to have each one of those amps (particularly the 800, which the Mesa didn't do well enough), with speakers specific to each one, but the versatility was really impressive. It makes me wish I'd never sold my studio 22 back in the day, if for nothing more than to pull it apart and screw around with it.
0 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: A fun weekend with a Mesa DC5

Post by Bieworm »

The new amp I built sports the JCM800 AND the plexi 1987!!! Wow!!! But it isn't mine...🙁
20211010_211146.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: A fun weekend with a Mesa DC5

Post by JMPGuitars »

cstenger5 wrote:
Sun 10/10/21 10:08 am
It's been a couple decades since I played with a Mesa/Boogie Mark-like amp. I have more recently played some of the rectos, and wasn't super crazy about them. Similar to the Soldanos, I really couldn't get tones in my comfort zone. But that said, I never did a lot of speaker swapping and EQ a/b-ing with them.
So yesterday and this morning I did just that, but with the dc5. I sat with my modded, speaker upgraded DeVille, my modded vibrolx, my buddies jcm 800, and my 18 Watt tmb. Running through each of the other amps native speakers and working with gain, parametric, and graphic EQ, I could get in the ballpark of replicating each one of those amps on the DC5, and be satisfied. Now, I'd prefer to have each one of those amps (particularly the 800, which the Mesa didn't do well enough), with speakers specific to each one, but the versatility was really impressive. It makes me wish I'd never sold my studio 22 back in the day, if for nothing more than to pull it apart and screw around with it.
I've owned a lot of Mesas over the years, and none of them had anything close to the touch-sensitivity of the 18W.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale