Single coil pups

Anything guitar techish goes here.

Moderators: CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles, Daviedawg, Graydon, zaphod_phil

geoff 1965
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Single coil pups

Postby geoff 1965 » Fri 12/27/19 10:17 am

alright for some! it's 7 degree's here and i'm freezing my nuts off!
2 x

AussieTim

Postby AussieTim » Fri 12/27/19 10:27 pm

ts actually 43 degrees Celsius here which is 109 Fahrenheit, hard keeping the guitar in tune, also why I have concerns about whether tubes and electrical components will overheat, that is why I was asking if a fan and venting would be a good idea with my 18 watt build
1 x

geoff 1965
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby geoff 1965 » Fri 12/27/19 11:37 pm

i had a peavey bravo 112 combo which because of the unique way the el84 & preamp tubes lay horizontally into the chassis "see pic" they fitted a cooling fan to prevent overheating,you can see it on the left.
it's was okay and worked and at playing volume you could'nt hear it but at idle you could hear it and was a bit annoying. i've still got an eminence speaker from one,good all round speaker for cleans & overdrive.
peavey-bravo-112-valvular-echo-en-usa-25w-marshall-vox-D_NQ_NP_626700-MLA26540976406_122017-F.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geoff 1965 on Fri 12/27/19 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ndross475
Unrated

Postby ndross475 » Fri 12/27/19 11:38 pm

I just went through this so I will share my experience. I traded for a Fender American Original 60s stock. Didn't think much of the pickups. Had played a Nash with Dirty Blonde Set and my luthier said he preferred the Fralin Blues Specials... I did some searching on the net and found both of those sets on sale, bought both, wired up 2 pick guards and played them both in the same guitar... The results... well I really liked both, they are very similar but different. I really liked the neck p/up in both. I kept the Lollar set in the guitar only because the Fralins went in first. I am lazy like that. I have learned I am not a big fan of the single coil bridge and thinking about finding a humbucker to go with the Fralin neck and middle to put in another guitar... but for now I am playing the Lollars and happy.. but holding on to the Fralins. If you have the ability to do the same I would encourage it. Taste in pickups is like taste in beer... there are some crappy ones we all agree on. Then the good ones, well you just have to figure out your taste.... I did the YouTube listening but in the end, I needed to hear them in my guitar through my amp... If you go this route, and do a clean wiring job you should be able to sell a loaded pickguard for your $$ in the parts... my 2 cents... let us know what you decide...
3 x

geoff 1965
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby geoff 1965 » Sat 12/28/19 12:01 am

that's interesting because i'm not a fan of the strat bridge pickup either "but" i've just tried some highway 1 pickups,alnico 2 and all 3 pickups are just over 12K resistance.the bridge pickup is awesome but the weaker alnico 2's don't suit the middle & neck positions in my opinion.i'd like to keep the bridge and put alnico 5's back in the middle and neck but not sure if they will balance out?
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Postby JMPGuitars » Sat 12/28/19 8:52 am

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 12/28/19 12:01 am
that's interesting because i'm not a fan of the strat bridge pickup either "but" i've just tried some highway 1 pickups,alnico 2 and all 3 pickups are just over 12K resistance.the bridge pickup is awesome but the weaker alnico 2's don't suit the middle & neck positions in my opinion.i'd like to keep the bridge and put alnico 5's back in the middle and neck but not sure if they will balance out?
Resistance doesn't directly translate to output. The magnet type alone doesn't determine strength, it determines character more.

If the pickups are wound correctly, I like A2 in the neck, and A5 in the bridge, but that depends on the maker. Most makers don't include enough info like henries or actual output.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright
Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
Amp Tools & Test Equipment
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram

crgfrench
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Postby crgfrench » Sat 12/28/19 2:51 pm

Well I just blew my pickups money on an Egnater 20 Rebel mark 1 head for $250. So it's going to be a bit longer before I upgrade this strat...
20191228_233021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

AussieTim

Postby AussieTim » Wed 01/01/20 3:14 am

Oh well gives you more time to suss out pickups, I have spent years swapping pickups around and have found;
That some work in one guitar and for some reason sound like crap in another guitar.
Just because it is a big name charging big dollars doesn't guarantee great sound.
Sometimes a pickup that doesn't have a great pedigree sounds great in your guitar
Its fun to swap them around and find your own sound
2 x

Return to “Guitar Tech Bench”