New machine tuners for my Gibson SG

Anything guitar techish goes here.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Post Reply
User avatar
ZeroPointEnergy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue 04/28/20 11:08 am

New machine tuners for my Gibson SG

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

Looking for tuner suggestions for my Gibson SG, black. It has Grovers on there now, but wondering if there's something else I might prefer. I checked PRS guitars, and they are out except for just one set of tuners, and they use a different hole fastener pattern, so that's a no go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

User avatar
JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin
Posts: 2113
Joined: Tue 09/18/12 8:00 pm
Location: South Central, MA
Contact:

Re: New machine tuners for my Gibson SG

Post by JMPGuitars »

I responded to your other thread. ;)

Hipshot open back locking tuners are my favorite. Get an upgrade kit, it should include mounting plates so you don't actually need to modify the back of the headstock for screws if you don't want to.

Their closed back tuners are great too, I just like the look and weight of the open back better.

I would never pay a guitar company for their branded tuners. They're 99% overpriced trash, and the other 1% is still trash. I've installed tons of sets from Hipshot, Sperzel, Grover, Schaller, and Gotoh, but definitely prefer the Hipshot. Schaller does make some very nice tuners, but they can get expensive.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique


Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

User avatar
ZeroPointEnergy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue 04/28/20 11:08 am

Re: New machine tuners for my Gibson SG

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 05/17/20 9:50 am
I responded to your other thread. ;)

Hipshot open back locking tuners are my favorite. Get an upgrade kit, it should include mounting plates so you don't actually need to modify the back of the headstock for screws if you don't want to.

Their closed back tuners are great too, I just like the look and weight of the open back better.

I would never pay a guitar company for their branded tuners. They're 99% overpriced trash, and the other 1% is still trash. I've installed tons of sets from Hipshot, Sperzel, Grover, Schaller, and Gotoh, but definitely prefer the Hipshot. Schaller does make some very nice tuners, but they can get expensive.
I went with your advice and ordered a set of open back, locking Hipshots, 3x3 in chrome! They are sending it snail mail USPS, so I don't expect it for a week or so. Unfortunately they did not offer up-gradable shipping options, which is a bummer, so now it's, hurry up and wait.
1 x

Post Reply