Purchased Used Marshall 1974X - Questions

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

RDRunner
Unrated

Purchased Used Marshall 1974X - Questions

Post by RDRunner »

I used to be a member here a long time ago (2002) when I thought about building an 18 watt. I never built one. I finally bought a used 2005 Marshall 1974X today (bought it online).

The amp seems a lot quieter than I thought it would be, which makes me think something may be wrong with it. I have owned a lot of tweed Deluxes, Deluxe Reverbs, Princeton Reverbs, Top Hat Club Royals, etc. in this wattage and they were a lot louder. Any ideas?

Also, the tremelo seems to be on even when it is down to zero. How do I turn it off?

Finally, how do I determine if the transformers are original or replaced with originals? My understanding is that Marshall had some problems with some of the transformers.

I will check the tubes, etc. in the next few days.

I have watched youtube videos of several Marshall 1974X amps and they sounded a lot different (more rich). This one seems anemic. This amp is 14 years old so maybe some capacitors or something are bad or maybe it has a bad tube.

The good news is that I can return it to Guitar Center if I don't want it. I want it but I need it to sound right.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Purchased Used Marshall 1974X - Questions

Post by JMPGuitars »

It's certainly worth trying new tubes in it. Then I would make sure the connections are all good, including the speaker wire/jacks. Also test with another speaker. If it still sounds anemic, you're correct that the filter caps could be old and beaten to death.

Try those basic things, and then consider posting a demo of what it sounds like.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

RDRunner
Unrated

Post by RDRunner »

Thanks. I found the problem. I am almost embarrassed to say what it was. It was a bad guitar cord that was not going all the way into the jack.

I have not had a lot of time to test it and look it over, but I now think nothing is wrong with it. I will take it apart and look it over to make sure it is all original, and I do suspect that it could use some new or better tubes.

It took me over 15 years to finally get one of these (wanted one when they first became popular). I am more of a Fender guy (guitars and amps), but I have always liked the Marshall tone as well. This amp is the perfect size for me (love Fender Deluxe size amps).

Thanks.
1 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

Glad you got it sorted. Sometimes the problem can be the simplest of things!

I agree with Josh that given the age of the amp, changing the power supply electrolytics may be needed. The amp should not be excessively noisy at idle with mains hum creeping in due to tired caps. But if it is a closet classic, they may still have some life left.
1 x