Newbie - OT leads too short

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

briskema
Unrated

Newbie - OT leads too short

Post by briskema »

I am new to the amp building thing and have a question regarding OT leads. I have a ceriatone combo that I am converting to a head. Not a big deal until now, the leads for the taps are too short and will not reach the impedence selector. Anyway to extend them or am I sol? Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
0 x

jimipage
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jimipage »

I've spliced OT leads before. Use good wire with matching gauges and tin the ends lightly -- not too much solder. Take your time and be careful, and make sure to use shrink tubing on the exposed areas so that you don't get a short or expose yourself to a shock. It should work just fine.
0 x

lagerdog
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lagerdog »

Just solder on an extender piece of wire of the same guage... electrons will be electrons... but make sure they are soldered... :D
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

It's ok to extend the leads.
Tin both ends of your leads and make a mechanical connection with a small 'hook' on each ond of the wire then cover it in heat-shrink tubing.
...no problem.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

briskema
Unrated

Post by briskema »

Thanks for the responses. I will extend them as mentioned.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

It's also important insulate the splice. I would double heat shrink the splices.
0 x

briskema
Unrated

Post by briskema »

Kenny O, I like the terminal strip idea. Do you have one you recommend or will one from the ratshack work? Great idea.
0 x

haleman
Unrated

Splice

Post by haleman »

Whether you solder two wires together and insulate or solder to a terminal post, do the electrons know? Does this count as my post not to get bumped again. I couldn't really ask any questions because I haven't had any problems other than getting all the parts for my "kit" from those people in North Carolina. (I heard it was bad to mention names) There. Posted.
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

KennyO wrote:...mount a terminal strip on one of the mounting screws, connect the short xfmr leads to it then run new leads from the terminal strip to the destination. No muss, no fuss and it looks professional as all getout.

KennyO
I agree...that's really the best way to do it. Looks a lot nicer too.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

KennyO wrote:I'm inclined to avoid splices in conductors due to working for many years as an engineer in a field where in-line splices are forbidden by specifications and/or by code. When I re-use a xfmr I mount a terminal strip on one of the mounting screws, connect the short xfmr leads to it then run new leads from the terminal strip to the destination. No muss, no fuss and it looks professional as all getout.

KennyO
That's a great idea.

I'm sure splices work just fine, but this way is a lot more sturdy and cleaner... if I ever need to make my leads reach... KennyO gets my vote :)
0 x

vaultermn

Post by vaultermn »

I usually just do the solder/splice/shrinkwrap.

But I also tend to shrink wrap my leads together, rather than twisting. So the splice is completely invisible.

Jon
0 x