i'm a newbie! which is the best way to start?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

petesake

Post by petesake »

thank you, brownnote. i'm thinking about getting a kit from you. so JoeV said I heat the turret and component (the turrent i understand is the metal piece sticking out of the board, and the component:?? the cap and diodes? i heat them?)

i'm gong to do more research, but this is news to me and i've been all over this forum and researching and this is the first i've heard of it!! i'm glad tho. just trying to clarify.
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

Yeah you got it...
I'm putting together a pictoral tutotial that will walk you through the whole process...my new websute will be much more detailed, and is almost ready to launch.
0 x
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

d1camero
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by d1camero »

I suggest if you want an 18W, build an 18W. Do not bother with the AX84 amp. Building an AX84 amp is about the same level of difficulty as an 18W.

Unless you want a 5W practise amp, the AX84 would just be a waste of money. If you want some kit to practise electronics, to learn soldering and reading a schematic, go to your local radio shack and get a $20 kit with parts that makes weird sounds or blinks lights or something - much cheaper.

Find a good 18W kit, with clear instructions and lots of pictures. Make sure the kit has a made up board and a drilled chassis. Then get an electronics buddy to help you and inspect your solder joints.

Caution: these amps have hundreds of volts that really hurt when you touch the wrong thing (even if it is unplugged!). Make sure your electronics buddy tells you how to behave around high voltages (one hand in pocket, drain caps, keep fingers and metal parts ot of the circuit when testing, etc.)

Check out Trinity amps. They seem like very well put together kits at a reasonable price.

d1
0 x

d1camero
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by d1camero »

One thing to add though...

The AX84 Build guide is a good manual for anyone starting out to read, regaurless of what amp you build. It has lots of great tips for building tube amps.

d1
0 x

petesake

Post by petesake »

thank you, d1

i'll post pics when i complete the build.

:D
0 x