Calling all Relay gurus!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Turmoil
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Turmoil »

Forgive me for this may be absurd but how about something like this
0 x
"Relax in the safety of your own delusions."

J.R. Bob Dobbs

Francis_Vaughan
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Francis_Vaughan »

I would be inclined to have a look at reed relays. They are available in a large number of packages, including ones with flying leads. Which would make them quite suitable for use in a turret board.

Something like the US Relays and Technology Inc Type 40.

http://www.reed-relays.com/1649194.html

Some are stocked by Digikey. Some might be a little hard to find.
0 x

mnrsmith

Post by mnrsmith »

Don't think I qualify as a relay guru but here's my 2c...

If you want to switch from the hv you can find socketed 48Vdc (or higher) low current versions. It was hard to find this in england, will probably be easier in the us.

To switch the hv I was pointed by markh's site to use a solid state ic relay that could be socketed.

I made a hybrid printed turret board for these - I couldn't find anything that was turret friendly for either of these and I looked really hard.

My circuit (with part numbers) added on to the power scaling circuit you kindly provided is at:

http://www.luisamark.com/mark/files/Pow ... al%202.jpg
0 x

Luigi
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Luigi »

Doug Hoffman mounted a relay on turrets in his Stout project. Looks pretty slick too. Check out the Stout project HERE
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

Old octal base relays are available in vast quantities on the surplus market. We use 'em for switching duties in organ installations although usually they're not in the signal path. I'm not even sure what we use, we have a big ol' box full of 'em, we rummage through and grab what we need.

BTW most of the high quality new production octal sockets are actually relay sockets.

Why not just package your Omron miniature relays in a vintage looking tin box? Form follows function...
0 x

Toots

Post by Toots »

This type of relay can be mounted on a separate rail (they're Omron), and some even are seated and can be exchanged! (just shop around and you can find them - they are also very reliable, in Holland they use them in safety interlocks for rail apps.).

-----------------------------------
Toots
0 x

novemberrain
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by novemberrain »

deleted
0 x

Turmoil
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Turmoil »

Luigi wrote:Doug Hoffman mounted a relay on turrets in his Stout project. Looks pretty slick too. Check out the Stout project HERE
If you read down a bit, Doug abandoned the hot switch relay due to noise issues I believe.
0 x
"Relax in the safety of your own delusions."

J.R. Bob Dobbs