unmarked capcan...help please!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Duke

unmarked capcan...help please!

Post by Duke »

I'm probably 30 minutes or so from powering up my first amp/18 watt build. I need to hook up the capcan but there are no marks identifying the ground. Can anyone help me by looking at the pictures?
Thanks.
0 x

flip
Unrated

Re: unmarked capcan...help please!

Post by flip »

I think the capacitor lug with the black spot on the top of it is the common negative terminal (ground).

Flip
0 x

Duke

Re: unmarked capcan...help please!

Post by Duke »

flip wrote:I think the capacitor lug with the black spot on the top of it is the common negative terminal (ground).

Flip
I was thinking the same thing, but I needed a confirmation. I'll wire it up that way and see if anyone else can confirm. Thanks.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

The terminal with the black dot is ground. You can test this by shorting all three terminals together which will bleed the caps. Remove the bleeder wire. Set your meter on Ohms and select 20K range. Place the negative lead on the black terminal. Place the red lead on either of the unmarked terminals. You should see the resistance start out low and climb gradually until the metr shows it is open.
0 x

Duke

First firing failure...

Post by Duke »

That test confirmed the black dot was the ground. I finished wiring and hooked it up. I tested voltages. Only 3 volts ac where I should have 6 volts. The DC voltage on valve 6 measured 830 at pin 3 on valve 6...about 300 more than it should have. Two of the three preamp tubes are not glowing. There is no sound. It seems to be wired correctly. I've been at it for about 15 hours. I think I'll sleep on it and check back in the morning for more suggestions. :(
0 x