When to use stranded and when to use solid core wire

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

chrismathewsjr
Unrated

When to use stranded and when to use solid core wire

Post by chrismathewsjr »

I know this might be a noob question but I want to ask anyways - when is it appropriate to use stranded wire and when is it appropriate to use solid core wire? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each wire type?
0 x

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

It's mostly personal choice. Use whatever you like to fool with.

Stranded wire if more flexible and won't break from being moved around a lot. It's a little more difficult to get it to stay where you want it.

Solid wire, in my opinion, is easier to work with. It stays were you put it and you don't have to deal with multiple strands. If you use it, get a good pair(not cheap) strippers so you don't nick the wire when stripping. With a lot of moving around, it can break.

IMHO, teflon insulation is superior for either type of wire.

Ken
0 x

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bigbeck »

What KD said. Except I prefer stranded wire.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

This is very general -

I like to use solid wire for stuff I'm going to wire and leave alone, like heaters.

I use stranded for everything else because it is less fragile than the solid wire. Sometimes when building or voicing an amp you're going to have to move or replace a wire, and stranded is just easier to manage.

I personally prefer PVC over teflon. I know teflon is 'better' in many ways, but PVC is easier to strip and works just fine for me. It's sort of like resistors or caps - it's really down to personal preference. I don't get too involved chasing the flavor of the month - I've found a combination of choices that works for me.
0 x

pylet2000
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pylet2000 »

I find true cloth covered solid wire to be the easiest to work with. http://www.hoffmanamps.com sells some fantastic cloth wire, and it's a breeze to bend, set, mold, and no stripping required.

The 18 ga. wire for the heaters is a little stiff. I have yet to try the zip cord like Zaphod Phil uses, but I suspect it's worlds easier...
0 x

HiWaTTage
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by HiWaTTage »

rjgtr wrote:This is very general -

I like to use solid wire for stuff I'm going to wire and leave alone, like heaters.

I use stranded for everything else because it is less fragile than the solid wire. Sometimes when building or voicing an amp you're going to have to move or replace a wire, and stranded is just easier to manage.

I personally prefer PVC over teflon. I know teflon is 'better' in many ways, but PVC is easier to strip and works just fine for me. It's sort of like resistors or caps - it's really down to personal preference. I don't get too involved chasing the flavor of the month - I've found a combination of choices that works for me.
Agreed on all accounts. I use #18 solid for my heaters, because they stay nice and twisted, and you can make a nice run with them. I've got some #18 teflon stranded that I'm using in my current build, and it's nice to be able to move the wire to voice the amp, just as you said.

When I do my 5E3, I'll use cloth covered solid core, simply because I have some sitting around that needs to be used, and it'd look nice and appropriate.
0 x

chrismathewsjr
Unrated

Post by chrismathewsjr »

Thanks for the responses! I asked because I am pretty new to building amps. I'm no stranger to soldering, but I've never used this much wire before. I started and used stranded for everything until I got to the tone stack and realized that I would have saved myself some wrestling with getting my heater wires, etc, to stay in place had I used solid. :roll:
0 x

pylet2000
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by pylet2000 »

I think I remember reading something about certain types of wire working better for cetain applications. Something like stranded wire works better for heaters (low voltage/high current) and solid wire works better for high voltage low current. Had to do with the way the wire flows IIRC. It was deemed insignificant for guitar amps, so I sorta tuned it out.

The wire that you like to work is the best wire for amps, at least.
0 x

bigbeck
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bigbeck »

I believe I read that stranded wire carries more current than solid wire,given they're the same diameter. The reason being that the electrons flow on the outer surface of the wire only. And stranded wire has more surface area.
0 x

Fredaxis
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Fredaxis »

Reading at ampgarage, I remember some people saying that in an Express, solid can go microphonic and that using stranded may help.
May be due to the "on the edge" design of the TW.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

After building a few amps, you will develop a preference. I've worked with cloth covered solid, teflon stranded, pvc covered, etc. I found that each has its plusses and minuses. Most have been mentioned above, so I won't repeat. I tend to us a mix depending on a) what I happen to have and b) where in the amp it's going. Actually, I'm not all that picky.

One thing to be aware of is that the insulator is the primary factor in determining the voltage rating of the wire. Pay attention to the rating and use what is appropriate for your amp. Teflon tends to get you a comparatively high rating.
0 x