50w zener

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

50w zener

Post by PeddlerPete »

from downloads
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Depends how much power you're actually planning to dissipate through them, and whether they're recommended to be chassis-mounted or heat-sinked. Unless you're dissipating relatively low power levels through them, you need to provide for clear air flow around them. Otherwise you can get into solder-melting situations.... 8O
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Thanks for the responses !
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jaysg
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jaysg »

PeddlerPete wrote:Thanks for the responses !
In the even of a Zener failure, the PT CT would be lifted, would this be catastrophic to any of the other components?
It's more like putting the amp on Standby.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

ok
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

PeddlerPete wrote:Except you've got a few hundred volts floating in search of a ground path.
I feel pretty confident in the ability to control conditions to where it'll be impossible for it to find ground, hopefully that will be sufficient.
Pete, Do I detect you throwing caution to the wind??? :wink: :wink:
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Pete, Do I detect you throwing caution to the wind???
I've never worked in nitrogen clouds or infant incubators with rubber gloves, but once the cloud has been released, it is difficult to put back :) .
I'm looking for information about using zeners.
Excuse me for not asking more exactly: "How do I hook up the Zener, safely" and let you take it from there, I but I can't even find 25v 50w zener.
As far as figureing out any of my wiring questions, I had it figured [the way I have it in there now] before reading download on zeners, and have a salvaged zener, installed ~'successfully'?
Please advise me on any improved methods of implimenting a zener, and disregard the description below, I'll gladly delete it, I thought someone might like to could have a look and crotique the method, untested/only pre-tested...may not fit so easy in a different chassis, not recommended.
The salvaged zener seems pretty cool, and is crimped hard and fast into two of the standby switch lugs, very thick leads 'should' keep it right there.
I made sure the other 'open' end can't easily move, by wrapp-knotting wire around the junction, the other wire has been stayed at the bottom, pushes square into the Zener, there's lots of room in there. Ground still measures ground at PT CT.
Still open to suggestions for safely tips about pressing zeners into service.
I like 'ok' so far..the 'flattenned, thick zener lead into the 2lugs super crimped tight with end twists method' i used, but would certainly consider implementing some other method, and can't recommend that it is safe because the art is a bit hard to describe, and requires exact fit of lead to switch lugholes, and the switch could melt, these zeners seem fraught with worst case scenarios I would like to avoid.
The zener, before soldering, didn't rotate or otherwise move at all because of the physical barriers, getting it out would require pliers, likely the switch and amp would fail before the lug fell out.
That's the best I can do today, not the best, but the zener is in, and working at least.
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Ok, a safety trifler in an infant incubator...very helpful.
Pete, Do I detect you throwing caution to the wind???
Whenever possible, un-safe, I have the need for publicly stating my intenetions for un-safety as you have not so clearly stated.
There IS no zener here.
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 1:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

I have used zeners tied to the CT of the HV winding. The thing I did was use several low voltage high powered zeners in series to make sure "nobody was overworked". I don't think it is a good idea to try and do the drop all in one device.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

ok...that's about what I had in mind before reading in downloads:
multiple zeners working to drop B+, at B+...it was a surprize and didn't quite make sense to me to lift CT from ground, but I figured it as gospel not to be questioned since it Is in downloads...far be it from me to ask the tough questions here, being the danger to stranger..and, trifler that I am.
Either way must be right, or, one is less so, of course what could I possibly know that in your mind, I'm still in the infant idiot incubator, after all.
Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 12/12/07 1:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Last edited by PeddlerPete on Wed 01/23/08 5:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Savlaged a zener, did the dirty, put it in the standby switch unsafely....here's how:
Stuck it through 2 switch lugs [had to flatten leads slightly, then locked it in there by crushing the lead to expand into the lugs tightly, bad idea, not recommended unless you are the essence of danger, like me.
Drops B+ fine by ~9v, and when measured for heat, [dangerously of course], doesn't seem to produce much of any.
The other end of the wire is foolishly looped and tightly wrapped with solid core wire to make it very fast, and, of course, plenty dangerous on that end.
I recieved a shock as penance for typeing suggestion about improved B+ safety but not following my recommendations. BOTH meters read 0.0v [DC]...sounds like BS? ..absolutely just happened, typical for someone percieved as unsafe as I am, I deserve more.
I'm well on my way to taking my amp out and zapping unsuspecting victims.
0 x