EZ81 Subs any other choices?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

8ohms

EZ81 Subs any other choices?

Post by 8ohms »

Anyone set up there 18 watt with anything other than the EZ81? Say GZ34 perhaps 5V4. Just thinking about experimenting. I have very few EZ's and many GZ's, 5V4 etc.. I think the current rating should be Ok with those tubes. Any thoughts or opinions. Thanks.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

The 5V4 is very similar. The GZ34 will be a little stiffer with a little more voltage. Data sheets will tell you everything you need to know about rectifiers.
0 x

chabby
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chabby »

I'll tell you, since I had a little of an over powered 18 watt on my build before this most recent one (from a Hammond Organ) I started out with the 5U4GB and it was just fine.n But going on this site and listening to everyone comment, it left me feeling like I was missing out on something by not having an EZ81. DUring that time I also was able to try the GZ34 too which was just fine with the tranformer set I had.

Fast forward to now and I have converted that Transformer set into a fantastic 5E3 and ironically using a 5Y3 rectifier in that, and have bulit a new TMB with a Heyboer set. And to be 100% honest, now that I have the EZ81, they all sounded great and I can't say I notice any difference between any of them!!!!! The only thing I know is with the old rendition of LiteIIB I'd built with the over powered Trans set and the 5U4GB/GZ34 I needed zeners and resisitors to get the voltage down to 335-ish. ANd thats the only difference I can detect with my new set up, I don't need to control voltage in the same way. So the rectifier thing is very, very subtle at least in my experience. Tone changes? What tone changes? Bah!!!!

Its just a bunch of cork sniffing crap. You don't really notice anythign with these amps until you go from rectifier tube to solid state rectification, now that's stiff. Although you can use a sag resisitor and compensate for that. Just use whatever you have and keep in mind the original used EZ81, but don't think you're not getting the true 18 watt expereince just because you're not using one. :wink: Another good thing about EZ81's is I have about 20 of them because I bought a bunch of JJ' two years or so ago on a real special deal - they are cheap anyway. But Electro Harmonix is making a 5U4GB for 12.95 now that I hear is just fine. I'm using JJ GZ34's in my &0's Champ and alternating it with a 5Y3 in the 5E3 I just built. With the 5E3 the only difference I noticed with the GZ over the 5Y3 was voltage....tone is a touch cleaner with the 5Y3 which surprised me.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

And to continue, you can simply use some UF4007s and a 150 ohm sag resistor instead of an EZ81. It will work just as well.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

8ohms

Post by 8ohms »

Thanks guys, some good info there. I appreciate the thoughts and comments.
0 x

lildog
Unrated

Ez81 and other choises

Post by lildog »

wrote: So the rectifier thing is very, very subtle at least in my experience. Tone changes? What tone changes? Bah!!!!

Yup, totally agree ! 8O
0 x

chabby
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by chabby »

And if I wasn't a cork sniffing fool myself I would do exactly as described above and save my money by having some 4007 diodes and a sag resistor.
Tubes are expensive and growing rarer by the day. Do your part as a conservationist and use a solid state rectifier-lol!

When my EZ81's are gone, I'll probably just convert to diodes. You could probably even put in a cool switch that would alternate between a couple different sag resisitors for tonal variety that set the cork sniffers back a little-lol!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

chabby wrote:And if I wasn't a cork sniffing fool myself I would do exactly as described above and save my money by having some 4007 diodes and a sag resistor.
Even a cork sniffer wouldn't tell the difference in a blind A/B test. :)
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:
chabby wrote:And if I wasn't a cork sniffing fool myself I would do exactly as described above and save my money by having some 4007 diodes and a sag resistor.
Even a cork sniffer wouldn't tell the difference in a blind A/B test. :)
+1

I am amused to no end by people paying big money for NOS rectifier tubes. I figure they're the same people buying things like this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audioquest- ... tegory=224
0 x

scottva59

Post by scottva59 »

krx wrote:I am amused to no end by people paying big money for NOS rectifier tubes. I figure they're the same people buying things like this:

And don't forget...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... nd=2818820

(read the reviews for a good laugh)
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

scottva59 wrote:
krx wrote:I am amused to no end by people paying big money for NOS rectifier tubes. I figure they're the same people buying things like this:

And don't forget...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... nd=2818820

(read the reviews for a good laugh)
I heard Eric Johnson won't play a gig until he has his personal electrician replace all the in-wall wiring and sockets. :rockedover:
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

I really laugh about links like those, thinking who would buy that! But then I realise that parts aren't listed for very long that don't sell. Makes me laugh harder. :D
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

you don't HAVE to pay big $ for NOS EZ81s....after i built my LiteII this winter i stocked up on about 6 off of eBay. i paid between 6-10 bucks each i think, maybe even less. i was surprised. they are branded NEC and RCA, and i think a couple were "package deals" that included other tubes that i kinda wanted.
by the way, is it dramatic when a rectifier goes, or a gradual decline...?i expect to have to live a few lives to go thru even 6 of them
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

nyazzip wrote:you don't HAVE to pay big $ for NOS EZ81s....after i built my LiteII this winter i stocked up on about 6 off of eBay. i paid between 6-10 bucks each i think, maybe even less. i was surprised. they are branded NEC and RCA, and i think a couple were "package deals" that included other tubes that i kinda wanted.
by the way, is it dramatic when a rectifier goes, or a gradual decline...?i expect to have to live a few lives to go thru even 6 of them
Yup, EZ81s are pretty cheap. But have you checked out prices for Mullard GZ34 or GZ37 tubes? !

UF diodes and a sag resistor are less than a buck and take up a lot less space.
1 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

Yup, EZ81s are pretty cheap. But have you checked out prices for Mullard GZ34 or GZ37 tubes? !
to be honest, i really just wanted to see the glow of that one extra bottle; i mounted it right by the power switch so it is kind of "on display". all of my other guitar amps are SS rectified, so it is novel...but i don't need no steenking $130 MullardTM glow, the current **** looks pretty darn good in dim light
i forgot that there were other tube type choices for 18 watt recto tubes....
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

hey they blocked the word "Matsus*ita".....ridiculous....
0 x

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

Given the choice I always opt for an octal recto socket, by using diffrent tubes it allows you to play with the secondary voltage to a pretty wide degree. This can change the tone & feel of the amp pretty significantly. Ive had more than one 18 that, to my ears, sounded much better with a 5y3 vs a GZ34. Careful though, some rectifiers draw more curent than others. .. Joe
0 x

pvg_320
Unrated

Post by pvg_320 »

I personally prefer a matched pair of EZ81's...for those times when single-ended rectification just won't do. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/EZ81-TESLA-NOS-STRO ... 51932686f8
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Now that's got to be one of the silliest things I ever heard of! :lol:
0 x

lildog
Unrated

ez81

Post by lildog »

Yeah, go for it....why not 3?? makes more sens in a way...or..?
0 x