New build - Superlite IIb w. PI/PA VVR - VS15 conversion

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

TomOlsen1
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

New build - Superlite IIb w. PI/PA VVR - VS15 conversion

Post by TomOlsen1 »

Hi All

I'm about to start a Superlite IIb w. PI/PA VVR build, gutting a Marshall Valvestate 15. I'm still finalising my board layout, and will post it here in the next few days for comment. I'll be creating it from a hybrid of the following schematics:

http://www.rh-tech.org/public/Superlite ... tic_V4.pdf

And amending the power rail from this:
http://rh-tech.org/public/18-Watt/18_Wa ... PI_141.gif

Iron is a Valvepower PT left over after I upgraded my 6V6 Plexi, and a Hammond 125E OT. I might grab an upgraded OT before the project is finished. Most of the parts were left overs from other projects, I just needed a chassis and a faceplate.

All the parts:

With the donor amp:

Guts:

Soon to be Gain, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass and Power

Power, Ext Speaker Out, Line Out, and switch to be replaced with On-Off-On DPDT

Replacing the stock Marshall speaker with a Celestion Eight 15

-Tom
0 x

cfjimmie
Unrated

Re: New build - Superlite IIb w. PI/PA VVR - VS15 conversion

Post by cfjimmie »

I like it. I will be interested in watching your progress as I'm at the same point with a Superlite 2B TMB going into a 1985 Lead 20 donor.
I'm going to keep the faceplate more or less accurate. I'm still collecting parts, working on the board, and mocking up the layout into the chassis.
My donor is a little bit beat up, or should I say "reliced", but I think that might lend a bit to the working amp feel.
0 x

stuart@glenury.com
Unrated

Post by stuart@glenury.com »

Hi

I bought one of Terry Stingers Superlite IIb PCBs a few years ago, only now getting round to building, only to find that sadly Terry passed away and there seems to be no build manual.

Has anyone got one for it? or has anyone got some good photos of how to hookup the components, I've completed the board stuffing and soldering ... (now I see some mods that others have made, so I have some changes to make) but I'm missing some photos of wiring and volume / tone control hookups etc.

I've built a few kits from scratch so I'm not a total beginner.

Also some suggestions for UK spec power transformer... I have a Hammond 370FX that looks liek it would be ok.

Cheers

Stuart from Stonehaven, Scotland.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

stuart@glenury.com wrote:Hi

I bought one of Terry Stingers Superlite IIb PCBs a few years ago, only now getting round to building, only to find that sadly Terry passed away and there seems to be no build manual.

Has anyone got one for it? or has anyone got some good photos of how to hookup the components, I've completed the board stuffing and soldering ... (now I see some mods that others have made, so I have some changes to make) but I'm missing some photos of wiring and volume / tone control hookups etc.

Also some suggestions for UK spec power transformer... I have a Hammond 370FX that looks liek it would be ok.

Cheers

A good portion of my album http://www.18watt.com/gallery/v/JMPGuitars-SL2ish/ includes photos of the PCB build and hookup.

I used rock_mumbles site as a resource for a lot of the PCB build, including this as the control wiring (though I placed the gain on the other side): Image
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

stuart@glenury.com wrote:Hi

Cheers

There's a thread here documenting the SuperliteIIb circuit ... two of us built up the pcb a couple of years ago ... with Z_P's help we reworked Terry's SuperliteII into a more standard Marshall-like SuperliteIIb with proper voltages etc.

Your 370FX should do fine, the really critical voltages are the preamp voltages so you may need to mess with the preamp dropping resistor to get the voltages where they need to be.
0 x

Black Heart
Unrated

Post by Black Heart »

I too purchased on of the PCBs from Terry's site, not knowing that the documentation was complete.
There are two mods I would like to make.
1) VVR mounted in the chassis and turned on and off with a foot switch
2) I have a spring reverb from my donor amp that I would like to incorprate, again turning on and off with a foot switch.
I am a complete newb when it comes to amp building - this is my first amp. But I am going to use the information that I see posted on here to get it wired up (I purchased pretty much 100% per Terry's documentation, so I only have a couple of new parts to buy).
Any help on my mods would be appreciated!
cheers.
rm
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Black Heart wrote:I too purchased on of the PCBs from Terry's site, not knowing that the documentation was complete.
There are two mods I would like to make.
1) VVR mounted in the chassis and turned on and off with a foot switch
2) I have a spring reverb from my donor amp that I would like to incorprate, again turning on and off with a foot switch.
I am a complete newb when it comes to amp building - this is my first amp. But I am going to use the information that I see posted on here to get it wired up (I purchased pretty much 100% per Terry's documentation, so I only have a couple of new parts to buy).
Any help on my mods would be appreciated!
cheers.
rm
It's not a great idea to go nuts on your first build with additions or mods. You should review the documents for the build and take a look at rock_mumbles docs and updated schematic before you start the build.

After you've done all that, you can build and test the amp. Once it's complete, tested, and working...then you can start thinking about mods and stuff. One at a time! I wouldn't do both mods at once, do one, test it, then move on to the next.

IMHO a VVR with the pcb Lite IIb isn't all that necessary. With a master volume knob the Lite IIb gets great tones at a variety of volume levels. You can decide if there's a real benefit to the VVR by turning up the master and see if you really like that overdrive more than just the preamp knob. I use

In regards to the reverb... a left over reverb tank may be more trouble than it's worth. Do you know what the impedance is in and out? To add a reverb requires adding an entire reverb circuit (caps, resistors, an additional board), a reverb transformer, a reverb tank, knob(s), and deciding where to implement it into the amp circuit. I've done the "one tube reverb" thing with a couple different 18 watt variants, but you absolutely need to balance the reverb transformer with the tank, and you will need to add an additional tube socket to support the reverb.

You might also find a reverb pedal that sounds great. I built a few from GGG's kit that sounded great. Pedals are fun to build too. :)
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Black Heart
Unrated

Post by Black Heart »

Yep, I figured I would just build it as spec'd and then see what I wanted to do with it. I am leaving space in the chassis just in case.
As for Rock_mumbles docs, are you referring to the RH-tech.org site - http://www.rh-tech.org/public/Superlite ... tic_V4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Black Heart wrote:Yep, I figured I would just build it as spec'd and then see what I wanted to do with it. I am leaving space in the chassis just in case.
As for Rock_mumbles docs, are you referring to the RH-tech.org site - http://www.rh-tech.org/public/Superlite ... tic_V4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Yes, stick to his schematic and BOM. There's a few photos of my build if you need any reference in my SL2ish photo album.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

roadshow

Post by roadshow »

Hi Josh,

Per your comment below I was looking for the album but don't see it. Did you remove it?

I was interested in doing this build and am making note of the changes and improvements in the discussion regarding the IIb rev 4 version.

Thx,

Bill
JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 04/07/13 6:47 am
A good portion of my album http://www.18watt.com/gallery/v/JMPGuitars-SL2ish/ includes photos of the PCB build and hookup.

I used rock_mumbles site as a resource for a lot of the PCB build, including this as the control wiring (though I placed the gain on the other side): Image
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

roadshow wrote:
Thu 08/08/19 3:25 pm
Hi Josh,

Per your comment below I was looking for the album but don't see it. Did you remove it?

I was interested in doing this build and am making note of the changes and improvements in the discussion regarding the IIb rev 4 version.

Thx,

Bill
Oh wow, that's an old link. The old gallery that was used was EOL, so I had to import the images and replace it with another gallery.

Unfortunately there probably isn't an easy way for me to make those links work, but here's the new link:

gallery/index.php/category/140

Thanks,
Josh

PS. I'm pretty close to releasing my EL34 36 watt version of the Superlite TMB in case you'd be interested in a 36 watt version. This is the gallery for that version (mine has reverb, the version I'm releasing doesn't): galleries/thumbnails.php?album=13
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale