18 Watt TMB build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Grumpaphone
Unrated

18 Watt TMB build

Post by Grumpaphone »

Hi Everyone! This is my first time attempting anything like this and I'm a bit worried.. I know I've done something wrong here, as I have voltage flowing to the input and I thought I'd ask for some outside insight before I shock myself or blow something up.

I used Richies TMB schematic(storage/18_Watt_TMB.pdf) and used GDS/Heyboer Vintage transformer. Maybe I have the power transformer wired incorrectly? Heres a short video that might give you a better view - https://photos.app.goo.gl/AZlfnTms9DIFiHwa2

Like I said, this is all very new to me and I've been learning on the fly and I was hoping someone could check my work to see where I went wrong? I'd really appreciate any insight you might have.

Thank you all!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18 Watt TMB build

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hi, welcome to the site!

The first step is to play the highlighter game with the amp unplugged. Print a copy of the layout and schematic. Then use a highlighter to verify every component and connection is accurate with the schematic (you linked the layout, you can do that too, but you should do both if you do).

After verifying each value and connection, highlight as you go along until you've highlighted the entire build. Also check to make sure that nothing is grounding out that shouldn't be. You should be using a digital multimeter to test each value and connection.

Once you've done all that, it should shed some light on any initial wiring or component issues. Then you can take some new higher-resolution photos in more detail for us to look at if you're still having issues.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

LedZepp007

Re: 18 Watt TMB build

Post by LedZepp007 »

Grumpaphone wrote:
Sun 02/18/18 3:06 pm
Hi Everyone! This is my first time attempting anything like this and I'm a bit worried.. I know I've done something wrong here, as I have voltage flowing to the input and I thought I'd ask for some outside insight before I shock myself or blow something up.

I used Richies TMB schematic(storage/18_Watt_TMB.pdf) and used GDS/Heyboer Vintage transformer. Maybe I have the power transformer wired incorrectly? Heres a short video that might give you a better view - https://photos.app.goo.gl/AZlfnTms9DIFiHwa2

Like I said, this is all very new to me and I've been learning on the fly and I was hoping someone could check my work to see where I went wrong? I'd really appreciate any insight you might have.

Thank you all!!!!
How much voltage are you getting at the input?
0 x