18 Faceplate Orientation/Poit of View

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bargegeek
Unrated

18 Faceplate Orientation/Poit of View

Post by bargegeek »

I'm a newb getting ready to build my first project amp - a 1-12 Tremolo combo. Silly question I know, but why isn't the faceplate labelling "right side up" when viewing from the front of the amp? That's the side most of us plug in from, but the faceplate labels are upside down from the front.

What am I missing? I assume I'll need to make my own "upside down" faceplate to have the orientation I want - or does somebody make them? This isn't an exact clone project, as I'm making the cabinet out of green-dyed figured maple to match my guitar. (Don't ask - it's a wife thing...)
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 18 Faceplate Orientation/Poit of View

Post by JMPGuitars »

Welcome to the site!

Some heads have the chassis mounted on top (tubes pointing down), some on the bottom (tubes pointing up). The orientation of the faceplate will likely be opposite between the two examples.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

lespaulplayer

Post by lespaulplayer »

bargegeek wrote:
Fri 03/02/18 5:19 pm
Silly question I know, but why isn't the faceplate labelling "right side up" when viewing from the front of the amp? That's the side most of us plug in from, but the faceplate labels are upside down from the front.
I think it was intended for players to stand behind the combo amps and put the amps at the front of the bandstand. I don't think I've ever seen a vintage gig photo with that sort of setup though so who knows?

Old Fender tweeds and Voxes are like that too. :huh:
0 x
Livin' the 18 watt lifestyle! :kool:

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I was that man. Our speakers were so feeble the amp was at the front of the stage with us behind. It all changed in the early sixties as gear improved and the Beatles etc had the amps at the back.

So yes we had to see the volume knob from the back. Only expensive amps had more than a vol.

Dd
0 x