Weber advice redo or new kit

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Weber advice redo or new kit

Post by JMPGuitars »

wavey63 wrote:
Mon 11/19/18 6:11 am
I just remembered I have an old Realistic tube hifi that I was going to redo at some point or try to turn into a guitar amp. It’s stereo with 4 el84 output tubes. Could any of that iron be used to replace what I have or even build a new amp etc?
You need to find out what transformers you have in there, but most likely that would be better for a different amp project.

Do you know what copper cap model you have in there?
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

wavey63

Post by wavey63 »

I have the WCA4. How would I test to see what kind of amp I could use the trannys for? I would love to do another 18 watt but different circuit. I really want to thank you for all the help. Being home bound is driving me nuts so I’ve been modding and learning while I’m down. Lol.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

According to their site, the WCA4 has a 28 volt drop. I don't remember for sure, but I think the EZ81 drops about 15 volts or somewhere around there. So switching the copper cap for an EZ81 should put the B+ in a better range.

Another option to raise the B+ would be to go with a solid state rectifier, but that might make it too high. I would start with the EZ81 and see where you are.

Regarding the other amp project, are there any markings on the transformers to identify the brand/model of them? Maybe post some photos of them...
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

wavey63

Post by wavey63 »

Thanks JMP. I’ll post pics tomorrow. I have an ez81 or two that I can try in the morning. I stopped using it because of paranoia about it failing and my amp melting down. Lol. Btw if you’re ever in CT I’ll buy you a beer or two for the help. Cheers!
1 x

wavey63

Post by wavey63 »

I attached pics of the transformers and huts of the hifi. Th PT has specs on it. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

The internet claims you can find more info about those in the 1960s radio shack catalogs somewhere here: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catal ... ctory.html

At quick glance, the PT looks like you have standard 6.3v heaters, and 350-CT-350 which is high for EL84s, but you could use 6V6s or use zener diodes to drop the voltage down. You'll need to use a different chassis obviously and choose your rectifier tube wisely.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale