Component Placement

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

carl44
Unrated

Component Placement

Post by carl44 »

Planning my layout for my first build. Does the physical positioning of PT or the OT make a difference? Does the wire lengths or distance matter, say if I wanted to put the OT 6 foot away is there a loss? Does the turret board need to be X amount off the chassis?
I'm continuously reading the forum but it will take me awhile so pardon my questions if they seem basic. Thanks
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Component Placement

Post by Daviedawg »

My simple observations are that leads should be as short as possible. Long leads invite interference from other leads and components and from outside sources. Shielded cable can reduce that but can also be clumsy to build in. If you are suggesting remote stages then shielding is essential for signal path connections.

Distance off the chassis I believe is mainly related only to practicality. i.e. enough room to avoid shorting pins and joints and room to manage under board cable runs. I can see how very close fitting might induce noise but I suspect that is not really an issue because in practice the spacers and standoffs you can buy will dictate the minimum distance. I do not think distance from the chassis is relevant in any way other than the build practicality.

Dd
1 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Component Placement

Post by Daviedawg »

Sorry. I missed the bit about positioning OT and PT. That is not such a simple answer. Long distance apart should not be an issue. It is more when they are in close proximity due to lack of space that issues of interference arise which can be managed by the positional relationship. In which case I suggest searching for help here.

Dd
1 x