Newbie 18 Watt Marshall Build !!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Newbie 18 Watt Marshall Build !!

Post by Studiocat13! »

Hey Guys,
Looking to build an 18 Watt Kit soon and would like some advice. I have lots of electronics/soldering experience as well as tube amp mod experience but this will be my first full build so I am really leaning towards the Tube Depot Kit due to thorough instructions and support. With that said I really like the Mojotone kits attention to more classic components and better trannies. What are your thoughts on just having Tube Depot upgade the Trannies to the Heyboer's and then build or are there other components that I should look at as well ? I will not be ordering their cabinet but will instead order a 2x12 Blues Breaker cab from Mojo along with 2 Celestion Greenbacks. Really wish Mojo offered better instruction and then I would just order everything form them but... Any other advice or direction would be most appreciated. Thanks in Advance !!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Newbie 18 Watt Marshall Build !!

Post by JMPGuitars »

I don't like either of their kits, people have had plenty of issues with both. I do like Mojo's cabinets though, and Heyboer transformers are great.

Look at the kits from GDSAmps.com - they come with custom spec Heyboer transformers. Trinity also has some good kits according to other members of this site.

Personally I use the GDS Heyboer transformers on most of my 18 or 36 watt builds.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Post by Studiocat13! »

Thansk Josh ! I appreciate the info. BTW, I just saw that I posted this in the wrong place originally so have changed that.

Thanks Again !
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

No worries, I moved it for you. ;)
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Post by Studiocat13! »

OK Guys, I decided to go with the Tube Depot 18 Watt kit and so far so good. I have only found one discrepancy so far between the instructions and the schematic and since the primary on the power transformer isn't polarized it really wasn't an issue if you know that but could confuse some if they aren't aware of that. Either way I worked through that and it is going well. Having a lot of fun, taking my time and learning a lot along the way. Here are some pics of the build so far !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Post by Studiocat13! »

Also wanted to mention that there was an issue with the 1M ohm pot for the Tremolo Speed control, it was not a solid shaft like the rest and would not work with the Marshall knobs but after contacting them, Tube Depot took care of the issue right away and sent out a replacement. Them seem to be a great company to deal with !
0 x

jobewan
Unrated

Post by jobewan »

Hey StudioCat! I am also a newbie, and I have also just built that 18 Watt Tube Depot kit. I just wanted to say Hi and let you know I am going through the same process. I found the Tube Depot kit to be very well put together - its the only amp kit I have ever built, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, but I didn't have any problems. I went slowly, as you noted, and really enjoyed myself.

I am going to start another thread to ask my questions - don't want to hijack your thread. As I said - basically just saying Hi.

Joe
0 x

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Post by Studiocat13! »

jobewan wrote:
Tue 07/31/18 7:55 pm
Hey StudioCat! I am also a newbie, and I have also just built that 18 Watt Tube Depot kit. I just wanted to say Hi and let you know I am going through the same process. I found the Tube Depot kit to be very well put together - its the only amp kit I have ever built, so I don't have a lot of basis for comparison, but I didn't have any problems. I went slowly, as you noted, and really enjoyed myself.

I am going to start another thread to ask my questions - don't want to hijack your thread. As I said - basically just saying Hi.

Joe
Hey Joe, That's Great ! I am enjoying the build as well and look forward to completion, testing and cranking it up ! I responded to your issue question earlier and will certainly keep an eye out for any info while I'm building that may help you. Keep me posted !
0 x

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Post by Studiocat13! »

OK Guys, Made some more progress but I have to say this was a lot of work. Had to drill all the holes, mount the turrets and then solder in all components but I think it turned out pretty well !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x