Baby Will TMB info??

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lenniepickit
Unrated

Baby Will TMB info??

Post by lenniepickit »

Hey folks!

It's been a while with a new job that gets in the way of my tweaking but I was thinking I might want to add a tmb to my baby will to give me a bit more versatility giggin and thought I drop in to see what I could find.
I did a few searches here but didn't find much...

Anyone here have a go at this? Maybe have pics, a schematic to share etc?

Thanks!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Baby Will TMB info??

Post by JMPGuitars »

lenniepickit wrote:
Mon 09/24/18 10:09 am
Hey folks!

It's been a while with a new job that gets in the way of my tweaking but I was thinking I might want to add a tmb to my baby will to give me a bit more versatility giggin and thought I drop in to see what I could find.

Thanks!
Are you looking to change the tone stack you currently have, or do you want to add a TMB channel?

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

lenniepickit
Unrated

Post by lenniepickit »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 09/26/18 10:05 am
lenniepickit wrote:
Mon 09/24/18 10:09 am
Hey folks!

Thanks!
Are you looking to change the tone stack you currently have, or do you want to add a TMB channel?

Thanks,
Josh
I've played around with others places in the circuit to tweak the tone and conjuntive filters etc but I feel like I'm always stuck with it either loving my Tele or my Paul.
So I'm trying to get my head around whether or not I can insert a tmb up on the control panel of the baby will so that the caps sit right up on the pots and just run from the same insertion point on the PCB.

I can find diagrams of single tone and volume stacks but not a volume/tmb insertion like that and figured if it has been done it would by someone here!
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

lenniepickit wrote:
Sat 09/29/18 7:46 am
I've played around with others places in the circuit to tweak the tone and conjuntive filters etc but I feel like I'm always stuck with it either loving my Tele or my Paul.
So I'm trying to get my head around whether or not I can insert a tmb up on the control panel of the baby will so that the caps sit right up on the pots and just run from the same insertion point on the PCB.

I can find diagrams of single tone and volume stacks but not a volume/tmb insertion like that and figured if it has been done it would by someone here!
It sounds to me like you really want to change the tone stack. Not just the tone stack, but you're having the single-coil/humbucker battle with your current tone stack more than anything else?

Take a look at the Superlite TMB schematic and see if that tone stack makes sense to you. I'm not sure how easily you can translate it to the Baby Will build, but if you're comfortable doing it off the board, it should be possible.

While you're looking at that schematic, also take a look at C7 on the Tweaker's Table. I use both the cap and the resistor on a toggle switch for bright/thick which helps tame the difference between SC and HB on some guitars...truth be told, you may be happy with just adding this switch.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lenniepickit
Unrated

Post by lenniepickit »

You nailed it JMP - just trying to find that balance for the Tele and the Paul.
I checked out the schematic for the super lite but the Baby Will doesn't have the split V1 where the cap resistor combo you mentioned is.

So after deciding there was no easy way to fit a tmb into the stock Valve Junior chassis it lives in I started playing around with the cathode and tone caps....

I settled on a 10uf for the bypass cap where I was running 2.2uf the paul liked it but the tele hated. But most surprising to me was that after trying 370, 250 and 100pf in place of the 500pf, the 100pf seemed to tame the high end in the most pleasing way while still leaving enough up top for the humbuckers.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I don't know how much of an affect it really has, but according to the schematic here, messing with C4 might help too: http://rh-tech.org/public/Baby%20Will%2 ... c%20v5.pdf

If you're not already happy with your tone, I would replace C4 with a lower value, and then use a switch to add a second capacitor in parallel to get back up to 47µF or whatever you have in there.

You could see what value sounds good with HBs and then go from there...assuming it has enough of an affect at all.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lenniepickit
Unrated

Post by lenniepickit »

Good idea on the parallel cap - when I built the amp I was playing high gain hb's a lot and running C4 pretty lean @ 2.2uf but have been playing my Tele's a lot more lately. The 10uf in there sounds pretty good with both but I bet that parallel 47uf on the switch would be a great option for those compressed clean country Tele tones I've been digging lately 8)
1 x

lenniepickit
Unrated

Post by lenniepickit »

So I stumbled across the diagram for exactly what I was looking for while doing a completely unrelated search - seems to be living on the Robinette site somewhere but I don't recall having seen it there before so I'll post the link and the PDF just in case anyone else stumbles into this on a similar search.
Here it is - TMB Tone Stack on pots!
https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/ ... n_Pots.pdf
TMB_Tone_Stack_On_Pots.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x