ohms law fun!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

ohms law fun!

Post by geoff 1965 »

right guys,
try as i may i just can't get my head around calculating resistance etc using ohms law,even though maths was my best subject at school!
so here is a little test for you guys who can,i'm fine tuning my B+ and i need to adjust my el84 grid voltage.
at the moment i have 340V on the plates and 331V on the grids, this is with a 1K grid resistor and i want to reduce the grid voltage to 325V.
so using ohms law tell me the resistance i will need to reduce 340VDC to 325VDC.
i've patched my trusty 0-10K variable resistor in place of the 1K and adjusted it to get 325V on the grids so lets see who gets the closest!
002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Crabman

Re: ohms law fun!

Post by Crabman »

Did you mean the screens? Then ... assuming you have a single screen dropping resistor and also a constant current flowing through both EL84 screens (I calculated it to be about 9 mA)..... to drop 15 volts should require a resistance of about 1.67K.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

i love it!
not bad Dave for a calculation!
008.JPG
010.JPG
actual voltage at the dual can cap was 341 so thats a 16 volt drop,just ordered a 1K8 with 5% tolerance which should get me in the ballpark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Crabman

Post by Crabman »

Yep ... a 16 volt drop would bring the calculation to 1.78K so you definitely ordered the correct resistor!
1 x