Completed 18W TMB Build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stomp944
Unrated

Completed 18W TMB Build

Post by stomp944 »

Hi all - quick thanks to group members for inspiration and info at this site. No question, just an outcome. I joined the forum a few months ago while doing research into a planned 18W build. Happy to report that it is finished and has exceeded my expectations - especially as a first build. I've built a Tele and the hard case to put it in before, but nothing of this magnitude. Fairly happy with my lead dress and soldering. Only had to add a resistor on the TMB channel when it picked up some faint radio signals at half vol or more.

I primarily followed Richie's TMB schematic with '04 revisions. No loud hums or hisses on first power-up. It is remarkably quiet at full Vol on normal and hi, and just a little hiss when both dimed on TMB - but I literally can't play it that loud anyway and my ears are already sore from testing! I also copper-lined the base of the head cabinet. When paired with an Eminence GB128 speaker I can barely play it above Vol 4. Crisp, clean and punchy on normal channel, with a bit more clear highs on hi. The TMB channel is a growly, crunchy, screamer when pushed. So far played an active pup Schecter, a Strat and a Tele through it.

All in, guts and cabs, sourcing every component individually, I spent just over $350 on the head and $150 on the speaker. Few more pics at https://telecastercustombuild.blogspot. ... ifier.html

Cheers!
Sean
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Completed 18W TMB Build

Post by JMPGuitars »

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on your build, it looks great. When you record a demo, you should share it in the "Hear It!" section on the site, we'd love to...hear it. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

Yes - thanks! Hope to get to a demo shortly.
1 x

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

I now know why there are so (relatively) few demo clips posted - these things take effort, editing, planning and time! After finishing this build about 2 months ago I got to putting a few sounds on video. Link to YouTube demo has been posted to the 'hear it' section of the forum ('Video demo for 18W TMB build').
Nothing fancy, but hopefully it provides some idea of how my 18W TMB build came out. Audio is ambient (and it was much louder to my ear beside the speaker than is apparent in recording). Let me know if I missed the mark!
I also changed the grille cloth to a black & tan since my last post:

1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Very nice work, and the demo sounds good too!

You should get your self a 50 watt (or higher) attenuator. Then you can crank your amp without the loud volume. I could tell in the video the loud volume was an issue for you. :)

I have a 50W attenuator I use on my 18 watt amps, and it works great for getting the overdriven tone without making my ears bleed.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

Thanks, Josh. Yes, agree. I built a 50W attenuator into the back of the speaker cabinet (photo below). I thought my demo might get blasted for anything but straight out of the amplifier, so I did not use it. Besides my playing, likely didn't do the amp enough justice in the demo as I couldn't push it very hard, but I do normally attenuate it when playing at home. Otherwise playing at volume of 5 or more can feel like a punch in the gut, followed by momentary deafness! Er, not always a bad thing......

fyi, debated whether to have a stand-alone or put it into the cabinet; decided I didn't need another box lying around, and with a bypass switch I can keep it plugged in if I want.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Oh, that's awesome. Well, now you need to post another demo and show us what it sounds like with your built in attenuator! ...and the amp cranked. :)
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

stomp944
Unrated

Post by stomp944 »

Yeah, I will add a few snippets at higher gain in another video.
It might have to wait a bit, however - long story, but I just put a hooked spike through the side of my left thumb while rebuilding the clutch master cylinder on one of my bikes..... Although Bryan Adams played one 'till his fingers bled during the summer of '69, I don't want to get too much blood on my guitar.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

OUCH! Don't do that. That sounds painful.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale