New 18 watt build ... new hum

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

tom_k
Unrated

New 18 watt build ... new hum

Post by tom_k »

Hey guys, I am a novice amp builder, new to the group and new to the 18 watt world.
I have successfully build a little tweed(tube depot) and an Allen Amplification Brown Sugar.

This amp - Mojo tone 18 watt head with TMB circuit.

I am getting bad hum in channel 1 (Clean) as the volume comes up.
The master vol channel gets hum as well be there is some stattic noise as well - Adjusting the gain and master you can kind of eliminate the static.

The hum is about a "B" on the 2nd string of a guitar. That has to have it close to 120HZ right? I spent a bit if time with "neat wiring" on the board and sockets but got a little quick on the finish - transformers, 110V in and Filters.... I get excited as it get's close...

I am including a few images of my amp. Please let me know what you think.

Sounds like post transformer AC hum but I do not know where to start.
I have attached some images...

Thanks guys!!
IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_0978.jpg
IMG_0980.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ewizard
Unrated

Re: New 18 watt build ... new hum

Post by ewizard »

As best as I can tell, you are not using shielded wire for the inputs to the tube sockets. This can be a source of hum. The fact that the hum goes up with the volume on the clean channel suggests such anyway. There is only 1 gain stage for the clean channel, so any noise that is volume dependent is because of noise getting into the tube.

The TMB channel can also get hum again because of no shielded input or signal cables. As for the other issues, I suggest starting with a fresh copy of the schematic and layout and then re-checking each components placement and connection to be sure you followed the schematic exactly. I will a small bet that 1 part was miswired or not wired very well. I would also bet largely that the majority of your hum is because of not using shielded cable for the input signals.
1 x

tom_k
Unrated

Re: New 18 watt build ... new hum

Post by tom_k »

Thanks!

I found a missing ground connection and swapped in shielded cables and she is total quite and sounds great!!

Thanks again
TK
1 x