using only half a 12ax7?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

using only half a 12ax7?

Post by njkmonty »

during my searching the internet , ive noticed that when a schematic only uses 1 preamp tube, there has been a couple of different ways its been drawn up, just curious which is the way to go?
1) just use half and leave other half unconnected
2) on a 12ax7 pins (2 and 7), (1 and 6) (3 and 8 ) are all connected
3) a 3rd wiring ive seen however with several components connecting the unused half but not connected to guitar signal these parts predominately connected to ground.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: using only half a 12ax7?

Post by JMPGuitars »

That generally depends on the circuit you're looking at, and the position within the circuit.

It's not arbitrary, different things are happening, and you also have to be aware of the direction of the signal path.

If you take a look in the downloads section of this site, you see the same thing. Some circuits use both halves or only 1 half of the preamp tube.

Most often on single-channel amps (on this site), only one PI input has signal passing through it (you can see the cap is earthed on one side). In this case, sometimes the unused input of the PI can be used for other signals to be passed through it (reverb, fx loops, etc...). Or on two channel amps, the two halves of the PI are used separately to establish the two channels.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

PS. If you want to discuss what you're actually doing with the tube, you should specify the circuit and position. If it's a preamp tube, for example V1: how you use or connect the halves affects the amount of gain. If you use only one half, it's less gain than using both halves. How you use/connect both halves also affects the amount of gain.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

here are the two different ones i came across

0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I'm not sure what circuits those are, but here's what it looks like is going on to me:

In the first image, they're only using half the tube for input. The unused half of the tube is being grounded to avoid issues. Single input.

The second image they're using both halves in parallel of the tube for input. This is a very popular method. It also has hi and lo inputs.

Here's another option: storage/18wattLite2b.gif
That version of the Lite 2b has 2 inputs for either single or parallel input. Yet another fun way to wire the input tube. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Eventually a valve with a dead side becomes less efficient I believe, so it is good practice to adopt the circuit in the first diagram or make use of it in some way.

I built the single/parallel combination for the two inputs into the normal channel of my original version. But I have to say I seldom use the parallel other than it has become habit to plug my Gretsch with its lower output pickups into that input. I should give it another chance.

Dd
1 x

njkmonty
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by njkmonty »

thanks for the info ! :)
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Daviedawg wrote:
Wed 01/23/19 3:24 am
Eventually a valve with a dead side becomes less efficient I believe, so it is good practice to adopt the circuit in the first diagram or make use of it in some way.

I built the single/parallel combination for the two inputs into the normal channel of my original version. But I have to say I seldom use the parallel other than it has become habit to plug my Gretsch with its lower output pickups into that input. I should give it another chance.

Dd
In single half use, most often I see people (for whatever reason) worrying about the valve wearing unevenly in case they want to reuse it in a different application. They don't generally want one half to be significantly worn more than the other. I think that's kinda silly personally, that's what the box of other tubes is for. ;) ...but in cases where the unused half is still getting heated, it shouldn't be so uneven anyway.

The parallel input supposedly thickens up the tone compared to single input, I
never built the parallel/single input so I never A/B'd them. I'd love to hear your opinion about that if you A/B them.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Josh. I've done a recording. With no A/B switch I just paused the recording and moved inputs. It's been my view that the parallel is just louder with no benefit to the tone of the single input. I tried to do something which lets you hear what is going on.

But I can't seem to add an MP3 file which I think I have done before.

Dd
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I enabled mp3s. It should work now. What kind of guitar/pickups? I'm guessing if it would be noticeable (besides gain), it would have be single coils or thinner sounding pickups...but voicing the tube might make it unnoticeable anyway.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

PAF style humbuckers. If I get time today I will do another with my Shawbucker which might be interesting anyway. Also I will do it at a higher volume to see what that does to differentiate them.

Dd
Single parallel.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

At 12 seconds and 1:13 there's a mildly perceivable difference in tone, but that could just as easily be your fingers being more warmed up. I'm still curious about singe coil pickups.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I'll definitely do that when I have the house to myself as it should really be at a higher volume to see what that does to the two tones.

Dd
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Here you go. Using middle pickup on Fender Strat Shawbucker (Fat51?) straight into the 18 watt. In the room I just detected louder, but listening to the recording which is with no great recording gear, there is a fatness to the second part which is of course the parallel input. See what you think. Vol is at 9 o'clock so just breaking up.

Dd
Single parallel2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah i've listened to both tracks through good speakers and it's definately a fatter tone in parallel, i would say a touch more breakup as well in parallel,you can hear it with the single coil.
that's some neat fingerpicking Dd! can you play the banjo? we could have a duel!!
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

+1 I hear it too. 0:21 is not as thick as 0:45. And obviously it's pushed a little more too. Much more noticeable on the SC pickups, as suspected. Cool stuff, thanks for posting the comparisons!
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale