6P14P-EV

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

vmaxvmax
Unrated

6P14P-EV

Post by vmaxvmax »

I'm about to fit some 6P14P-EV's for the hell of it to see what they sound like. They are supposed to be a tougher version of the standard EL84. I have some NOS coming from Russia.

I normally use NOS Mullards, Valvo's and sometimes current JJ's.

My amp is a lite 2b with 150r cathode resistor.

Do I need to change the cathode resistor for these 6P14P-EV's? I am not familiar with them... Some seem to think they are a straight 'drop in' replacement.

Any views on this? - many thanks in advance...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: 6P14P-EV

Post by JMPGuitars »

Supposedly that's a military spec EL84, so in theory it shouldn't matter. But in reality, you'll need to check your voltages.

I would also throw it in a tube tracer/tester to make sure the tubes are any good. Personally I don't trust anything NOS that hasn't been tested in a tracer.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

vmaxvmax
Unrated

Re: 6P14P-EV

Post by vmaxvmax »

Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry it took a while for me to thank you but I waited for the valves to make their way from the depths of Russia before responding further...

The valves did indeed arrive and they are a real surprise. No problems with bias and a very punchy sound. I am used to my NOS Mullards, Valvo's etc. By comparison these hard wearing military style valves are not quiet as soft sounding but not in a negative way, just powerful and punchy. Nice breakup and still nicely defined at full volume. My slightly overwound strat neck p/up keeps its definition all the way up without farting out. Obviously no probs with bridge p/ups.

Their heard wearing properties should be perfect for the somewhat harsh conditions within my combo...

I like them and it will cause me to reconsider my aimless habit of trawling the net for the classic NOS valves.

Less than a quarter of the cost for NOS Mullards.
1 x