Finally Finished My First 18 Watt Build !!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Finally Finished My First 18 Watt Build !!

Post by Studiocat13! »

Hey Guys,
I am happy to say that I finally finished my first 18 Watt Build Kit from Tube Depot and couldn't be happier with the final outcome ! I took my time and paid close attention to the directions while following through with schematic and learned a lot during the process. When I first brought it up on the variac and heard the first chord from my Tele I was hooked and can't wait to build another amp ! I did find a few missed ground solder connections on both of those high gain input jacks but with some patience I was able to easily resolve these minor issues and it is now 100 precent, all tube, Marshall greatness !! The kit came with JJ Tubes so I thought about upgrading those but would love some recommendations from the experts here in the forum so any advice or direction would be much appreciated !! Please check out my photos of the final product and let me know if you have any questions about the kit as I would highly recommend it for others.
Thanks,
Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Finally Finished My First 18 Watt Build !!

Post by JMPGuitars »

Congrats on your amp build!

JJ tubes are usually fine. If it sounds great, why change it? That said, I don't usually like JJ for EL84 power tubes because I had reliability issues in the past. I use new issue Mullard, or Tong Sol, or TAD for tubes in general.

If you have JJ EL84 tubes right now in the amp, check the voltages and make sure they don't flash like a light bulb when you turn them on. If not, you should be fine.

Anything and everything besides reliability is subjective. If you like the way it sounds now, enjoy it!

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Studiocat13!
Unrated

Re: Finally Finished My First 18 Watt Build !!

Post by Studiocat13! »

Thanks Josh ! I appreciate your advice and I will certainly check that out to ensure they are good tubes.

Brad
1 x