Soldering preamp tube sockets

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Tfultz

Soldering preamp tube sockets

Post by Tfultz »

Any tips on soldering preamp tube sockets to leads, heater. I had a couple drip into pin holes when rearranging a few things and had to replace the socket because replacing is easier than fooling with getting it out. I heard placing an old preamp tube before soldering is maybe a trick?
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: Soldering preamp tube sockets

Post by Daviedawg »

Welcome to 18 Watt. This is not an issue I have encountered. It sounds like you might be using too much solder. It takes very little to fix the lead as long as you are through the slot for a good mechanical fix. The issue I have suffered from is "whiskers" shorting to adjacent pins so now I always study the finished bases with a magnifying viewer.

Dd
3 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I insert a socket saver into Noval sockets when soldering the pins. Tubedepot has them https://tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver
1 x

Tfultz

Post by Tfultz »

That’s a good idea. My V1 tube would not sit right in socket after soldering all the leads. I must have as mentioned dripped some solder in tube socket. Firing up my build I seen my V1 tube wasn’t firing unless I wiggled it. I ordered new socket and awaiting arrival. I also found a 1m resistor that I forgot to trim off on TMB input jack that was being grounded to side of top pot. The lead from TMB output jack goes to 1m resistor then to 22k then to pin 2 on V1. So that might have also been why I was getting intermittent signal.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Tfultz wrote:
Sun 05/05/19 4:29 pm
That’s a good idea. My V1 tube would not sit right in socket after soldering all the leads. I must have as mentioned dripped some solder in tube socket. Firing up my build I seen my V1 tube wasn’t firing unless I wiggled it. I ordered new socket and awaiting arrival. I also found a 1m resistor that I forgot to trim off on TMB input jack that was being grounded to side of top pot. The lead from TMB output jack goes to 1m resistor then to 22k then to pin 2 on V1. So that might have also been why I was getting intermittent signal.
If it's a good quality socket, you can point it upwards, and carefully heat the problematic solder tab(s) from the bottom and that should drain out the solder and make the socket work fine. Afterwards test to see if it's still holding the tube pins well. Overheating can damage the socket, so be mindful of what you're doing.

I build wooden stands to mount the chassis to so I'm not stuck soldering in one position. I can place the chassis in a number of positions, usually soldering sockets perpendicular to my bench. This also helps with pots or other hard to access areas.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale