Who currently builds 18 watters?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

pete12string
Unrated

Who currently builds 18 watters?

Post by pete12string »

Who currently builds an 18 watter and how would you rate them? Probably interested in the "original" tremolo circuit type - not a TMB. Also, I'm not looking for a kit... :D
I know of:
  • Marshall (of course)
  • Retro King
  • Ceriatone
  • Carol-Ann
The handwired Marshall 1974X just seems way expensive. So far, I like what I see with the Retro King the best. Ceriatone, well the prices look good, but not so sure on the quality of the parts, especially the trannies. Carol-Ann only made a handful of the 67-18 combos and heads, exclusively for Humbucker Music, so there's not much info on them.

What do you think of the ones listed? What other ones are out there and how would you rate them?
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Who currently builds 18 watters?

Post by crgfrench »

There are a lot.
Last edited by crgfrench on Wed 11/13/19 8:42 pm, edited 76 times in total.
2 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Just came across this, not sure if this is the (in)famous "Jersey Aaron" or not?
https://tyleramps.com/hm18
1 x

pete12string
Unrated

Post by pete12string »

Hey, thanks for the response! Those are some great suggestions!!!
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Just noticed the Carol-Ann (their "Silk" model) uses 6V6 output tubes. the demo on their website sounds pretty good!
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Dave Brons did a comparison video of EL84s and 6V6s in his 18 watt. I am sure he used it with 6V6s for most of his first CD.

Dd
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Daviedawg wrote:
Sun 06/16/19 2:12 am
Dave Brons did a comparison video of EL84s and 6V6s in his 18 watt. I am sure he used it with 6V6s for most of his first CD.

Dd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFtvozIK7zY
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

This new Friedman JJ Jr. is...

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

So I'm sure you all know about Mich Colby's Sundragon, a recreation of Page's 35W Supro Coronado.

Mitch also acquired the rights to Park and offers the Park Little Head 18. That is probably worth checking out.

http://www.parkamplifiers.com/
0 x

pete12string
Unrated

Post by pete12string »

I ended up getting a Carol-Ann British Series 67-18C. Spectacular amp. You can read about it here:
https://www.carolannamps.com/67-18c-18w-combo.html

Only a few were made (20, I think) and sold through Humbucker Music, Rossville, GA. I have a few amps (6) and this has quickly become one of my favorites. I bought one used, and I loved it so much, I bought a second one, new, from Humbucker. One to leave at my friend's house for jams and one for home. :D

If you are looking for an 18 watter and ever come across one of these for sale, DO NOT HESITATE to buy it! I guarantee that you'll love it!!!
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

I've been adding to my list above periodically. I just add them as i run across them in my musical journey.

Today I added the Brunetti Maranello Black Top to the list. I noticed there are now more than 100 amps on the list. 18 Watters are popular!

(Granted, some amps in my list are not actual 18 watt Marshall replicas e.g. Vox, Victoria etc, but generally these are all either 18 watts or similar power and 2 el84s in push pull. Some use 6V6s though.)
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 6:23 pm
(Granted, some amps in my list are not actual 18 watt Marshall replicas e.g. Vox, Victoria etc, but generally these are all either 18 watts or similar power and 2 el84s in push pull. Some use 6V6s though.)
I think at this point a good portion of your list is missing the point. The subject of "18 watters" on this site is not a question of how many watts an amp is. It's about the circuit. Since a lot of those amps have NOTHING to do with the 18 watt classic Marshall circuit, you should remove them.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 7:25 pm
crgfrench wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 6:23 pm
I think at this point a good portion of your list is missing the point. The subject of "18 watters" on this site is not a question of how many watts an amp is. It's about the circuit. Since a lot of those amps have NOTHING to do with the 18 watt classic Marshall circuit, you should remove them.
OK well. That seems extreme but you're the boss. Since I dont have schematics for any of them and can't verify which are and which are not "true" 18 watt clones, I just deleted them all.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 8:44 pm
OK well. That seems extreme but you're the boss. Since I dont have schematics for any of them and can't verify which are and which are not "true" 18 watt clones, I just deleted them all.
LOL! That was dramatic. ;)

Some of them were clearly based on it, and many were very much not. Avoid the questionable ones, and anything that says the F word on it.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

It's all so subjective. Hard to draw the line WRT the strict definitions of this site. The OP's choice, Carol Ann, uses 6V6 output tubes and God knows what else. That itself screams "delete the information" according to the site logic. I say that without any malice, it's just frustrating trying to adhere to subjective standards.

EDIT: My bad it looks like the Carol Ann model the OP bought is indeed an 18W clone, using EL84s etc.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Wed 11/13/19 9:12 pm
It's all so subjective. Hard to draw the line WRT the strict definitions of this site. The OP's choice, Carol Ann, uses 6V6 output tubes and God knows what else. That itself screams "delete the information" according to the site logic. I say that without any malice, it's just frustrating trying to adhere to subjective standards.

EDIT: My bad it looks like the Carol Ann model the OP bought is indeed an 18W clone, using EL84s etc.
Tubes don't define the circuit. The difference between running EL84, 6v6, or EL34 isn't all that significant with this circuit. There's versions with different tube variations in our downloads section.

Also, it's not so subjective. If you can find and compare schematics, similarities become apparent.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

What specific deviations from a reference circuit (eg, storage/18w%20Schematic.gif) are acceptable to this site? If as you say; the tubes don't matter, what does? Transformers? Coupling caps? Filter caps? Is there an acceptable range of values for the various resistors? Is a solid state recto acceptable? What if an extremely similar circuit is billed as 17 watts or 20 watts?

You see what I'm getting at? Without an objective set of criteria, someone will always complain that a suggestion shouldn't even be in the sandbox.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

You're getting too caught up in component values. Values by themselves don't determine the circuit. The circuit is a sequence from input to output. Each stage of that circuit has a specific design and function. Study it more. It doesn't matter if even an entire section is modified. There's still something tying it back to the original circuit. However, for the classic 18 watt sound, you need the typical circuit with the correct B+. If you have a person specifically requesting "18 watters" - then it should be closer to the original concepts - classic, TMB, Lite 2, etc...
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Sure. But for the purpose of excluding commercial amplifiers from a list we don't typically have access to schematics, much less the voltages.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

crgfrench wrote:
Thu 11/14/19 10:07 pm
Sure. But for the purpose of excluding commercial amplifiers from a list we don't typically have access to schematics, much less the voltages.
That's on them. Besides, many commercial makers say if their amp is based on this circuit (if it is).
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale